JOB TITLE : Accountability Assistant
LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia.
REPORTING TO: Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability & Learning Officer.
Accountability is one of Medair’s core values and characterises our attitude towards internal and external stakeholders. Medair is committed to employing best practices in management and operations, pursuing excellence in every respect. Medair is accountable to communities, affected people, supporters, and staff and seeks input from them to help improve activities and procedures Medair adheres to the IASC’s five commitments on Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP).
Under the supervision of the MEAL Officer, the Accountability Assistant is responsible for the implementation of activities related to accountability and ensuring the effective functioning of the Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism, enhancing the trust and confidence of beneficiaries, and identifying gaps that need to be improved. The Accountability Assistant will be based in Mogadishu but will cover Kismayu as well.
Medair’s primary objective in Somalia is to improve the quality of and access to life-saving health and nutrition services to vulnerable host, and displaced populations through an integrated health, Nutrition, and WASH project at community and primary health care levels
The general objective is to manage all the feedback coming from supported population from different Beneficiary Feedback and Response Mechanisms (BFRMs), providing close following up of the feedback/cases received, and sharing monthly reports with relevant staff and management.
Health, Nutrition, Community and WASH sectors and Support departments
Medair’s implementing partners, Community structures and individual beneficiaries in all Medair’s project locations.
Uphold Medair values and contribute to the well-being of the team as an active member.
· Manage the 24-hour toll-free hotline number by answering and receiving incoming calls from the communities, specifically the affected populations in Medair’s project areas.
· Respond and communicate with the beneficiaries in a dignified manner regarding their complaints/feedback.
· Register all Feedback received from the toll-free hotline number into the Beneficiary Feedback Response Mechanism databases.
· Categorize all feedback received as per Medair’s global categorization of feedback and channel the feedback to the respective managers for resolution.
· Maintain confidential and detailed records of all complaints in the Feedback and Response Mechanism database as appropriate.
· Respond to complaints objectively, accurately, and in line with Medair guidelines and procedures, etc.
· Follow up on pending complaints with Project staff and ensure that all Feedback is logged and closed on a timely basis.
· Follow up with all relevant teams on sharing all resolutions and actions stemming from the feedback through to completion and update the status of the cases accordingly.
· Analyse patterns and trends in complaints to help Medair improve its programming as well as demographics of complainants to identify possible gaps in access to the Feedback and Response Mechanism.
· Support development of AAP IEC materials in a language that can be widely understood (including by people with low levels of literacy).
· Regularly assess the effectiveness of all information-sharing efforts and incorporate findings into revised approaches.
· Support building capacity and understanding among Medair staff, partners, and contractors on AAP and the Feedback and Response Mechanism.
· Accompany the MEAL and/or project teams to the field in order to spread awareness about the Feedback and Response Mechanism to the affected population, as well as local authorities and stakeholders in areas of implementation, during field visits. Consult the affected population on accessibility of the mechanism and their feedback preferences.
· Support the MEAL department in conducting satisfaction surveys (ad-hoc requests).
· Adapt and improve the Feedback and Response Mechanism based on monitoring of its effectiveness and feedback from the affected population regarding their preferences.
Skills and Qualifications
How to apply
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the post.Due to the demographic of Medair’s primary project participants, female candidates will be given priority.
Interested candidates to send their resume to email@example.com before the 25th of March 2023.
Note that this position is open to nationals only. Female applicants are encouraged to apply.