WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Position: Administration Business Assistant Intern
Location: Garowe – Somalia
Date of Issue: 1st December 2022
Closing Date: 18th December 2022
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Female Internship Programme
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates/students across the globe. The programme will provide selected candidates/students with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of WFP. This will promote better understanding of WFP Somalia’s mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP Somalia’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. You will be part of a dynamic team that effectively identifies, monitors, evaluates, and manages the organization’s strategic, operational, fiduciary and financial risks in support of WFP’s country strategic plan for Somalia.
This position is open to qualified Somali female nationals.
What will you do?
- Supervise Catering and cleaning Company/cleaners to ensure that the conference room, Offices and accommodation facility are always clean and equipped with adequate chairs, ACs and ensure that lights are working and maintain the conference room locked when not in use.
- Maintain records of food and cleaning materials for GH store and Office by use of bin Card/stock card while maintaining FIFO rule
- Supervise day to day activities at water treatment plant and maintain proper records of accessories and consumables at the plant.
- Ensure Administrative documents are properly filed and labelled and maintain update AO Admin shared foldder documents for all contracts.
- Ensure hired vehicle tracking sheet is properly updated and the reference numbers are kept in order.
- Ensure that firefighting preventive equipment and standard to make sure that valid of chemicals are standard with WFP.
- Check numerical accuracy of guest house purchase and Office requests submitted by the Cleaning and catering Service provider and prepare operational advance, Petty cash form to facilitate the purchases.
- Take minutes during meeting
- Maintain records of COVID-19 sanitation materials/consumables, stationery, and other office materials in stores etc.
- Prepare outgoing pouch and ensure that it is properly referenced on the pouch log sheet.
- Keep track of utilities, water, fuel, and update contracts and leases log.
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisor
Are you Competent for this Job? Do you have
- Desire to learn about and develop key skills in the field of Administration.
- Flexible work style and approach based on client needs.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Team player and problem solver.
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills; high attention to details.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized way.
- Technology savvy: ability to think out-of-the box and to come up with innovative ideas.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office package, particularly of Excel and PowerPoint.
Do you Meet the Minimum Requirements
The Internship Programme is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Completed an undergraduate or graduate Programme (e.g., a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree) at a recognized university, studying in the area of Business Management, Administration, Human Resources Management, or other relevant field.
- Candidates must have completed at least the first degree in the last 12 months.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and Somali
Terms and Conditions
- Contract Duration 8 Months
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.