1. The Position:
The Administrative/Finance Associate is located in the Hargeisa Sub Office and is part of a team coordinated by the International Operations Manager and provides functional leadership in Finance by ensuring effective functioning of financial operations and systems in support of the Programme and office management. You will deliver quality services in HR/ Administration and Finance to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures.
You will report to International Operations Manager with administrative supervision of the Assistant Representative/Head of Sub-Office.
2. How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
3. Job Purpose:
In a global organization, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in providing functional leadership in Finance, ensuring effective functioning of financial operations and systems in support of the Programme and office management.
You will provide guidance to the Finance Assistants and finance Associates under your jurisdiction.
You will deliver quality services in Financial Management to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures. You will take a client-oriented results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines in service of the country Programme, providing support and guidance to the Country Office and UNFPA supported projects.
You will work closely with Programme and Project staff providing financial monitoring and analysis of projects and advising managers on expenditure trends and implementation rates.
You are expected to maintain collaborative relationships with all technical staff (Programme Officers and project staff) as well as government counterparts
4. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adapting processes and procedures, anticipate and manage operational requirements of programme/ project inputs under national execution in terms of personnel, sub-contracts, equipment, fellowships, study tours, and other programme and project-related events to facilitate programme/ project delivery.
- Prepare and monitor the administrative budget and ensures financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures. Propose procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency and respond to audit issues.
- Support in the area of Human Resource management by monitoring the recruitment and selection processes applying best practice HR tools and mechanisms, monitors absence management and entitlement of staff in their areas of responsibility and supports in the coordination of performance appraisal process.
- Implement corporate systems and applications in support of finance and human resource management and country office operations, creates systems and mechanisms for effective management of UNFPA resources, and advises and trains project staff.
- Review procurement requests and initiates procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies and services in a transparent and cost-effective manner; recommends procurement decisions. Contributes to the smooth running of the office by ensuring provision and maintenance of services and supplies following-up processes and maintaining up-to-date inventory and records.
- Review and prepare material for common system activities relating to common services and premises, cost recovery, tax exemptions, entitlement and salary surveys, security etc.
- Support the monitoring of Programme financial performance for all core and non-core resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators/results. Detects potential over-under expenditure problems and works with programme staff and output managers to ensure that these are addressed.
- Develop tools and mechanisms for effective monitoring of Programme and project budgets, coordinates compilation of financial data and provides accurate and up-dated financial information to HQ on a continuous basis.
- Integrates financial policies and procedures particularly relating to NEX and provides guidance and training to staff and project managers. Strives to identify ways in which Programme financial needs can be met within existing policies.
- Monitor the Institutional Budget and ensures financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures.
- Ensure the effective financial recording and reporting system, internal control and audit follow-up and processes financial transactions in and accurate and timely way. Proposes procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency and responds to audit issues.
- In consultation with the International Operations Manager, Deputy Representative, and Unit Heads, follows up on Funding Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures (FACE) and ensure that FACEs are received timely from IP’s and recorded.
- Monitor the dashboard to ensure that any items requiring corrections are worked on a timely basis and serves as the focal point for completion of integrated accountability checklist.
- Provide logistical and technical support to the Programme implementation to the Implementing partners in the areas of Programme Financial Management.
- Review and monitors charges for common services and cost recovery taking into account maximum cost efficiency and represents UNFPA’s interest in related negotiations and agreements.
- Assist in the formulation of Programme/project budget in determining expenditure levels.
- Provide support and reviews to quality services in administration, procurement, communication and management of office equipment and infrastructure to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains contact with counterparts in Government for compliance with guidelines in the submission of financial reports as well as counterparts in the UNDP on Atlas framework.
- Coordinate the Conduct of NEX audits and facilitate the development and implementation of follow-up actions.
- Undertake any other assignments as may be required by the Representative, Deputy Representative and the International Operations Manager.
5. Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed secondary level education with a minimum Seven years (7 years) relevant experience required.
- Recognized training and/or certification Finance, Accounting such as ACCA, CPA is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Seven years of relevant experience in administration, programme/project management or finance management in the public or private sector.
- Familiarity with UN Operational Rules and Regulations; direct working experience in applying and handling UN Operational rules and regulations and with Experience in using ERP system (e.g. Atlas, PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP) or similar integrated systems/ applications will be an asset.
- Proficiency in MS Office software applications and other accounting package is essential; proven capacity in use of web-based applications; good knowledge of Results Based Management.
- Fluency in English and Somali is required, both written and oral.
6. Required Competencies:
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Providing logistical support
- Managing data
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and work flow
- Planning, organizing and multitasking
- Supporting financial data analysis
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Note: UNFPA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNFPA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus Annual leave, health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm