Adolescent & Youth Technical Specialist, FTA, P3, Mogadiscio, Somalia
The Adolescent and Youth Technical Specialist is responsible for developing and implementing the Youth Programme management and capacity development in Somalia, working closely with relevant partners and stakeholders. You will provide technical guidance, advisory services and coordination to the Youth Programme.
You will report directly to the Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In a global organisation, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in ensuring the involvement of UNFPA as one of the pioneering agencies in working with young people and contributing to shaping the youth space in the UN system. As such, UNFPA’s work on youth leadership and participation provides a crucial backbone for its focus on young people across the board. Through its Strategic Plan 2022-2025 and the UNFPA’s Strategy on Youth, My Body, My Life, My World, UNFPA supports youth regional and national networks and organizations in their work on development issues, human rights, humanitarian affairs and peacebuilding.
You would be responsible for:
- Youth Programme leadership, management and capacity development
- Strengthening of CO’s strategic partnerships
- Youth Programme evidence and knowledge management and innovation;
- Youth Programme Coordination
- Youth Programme advisory and technical backstopping
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead the Adolescents and Youth programme thematic area in both the development and humanitarian context, including design, development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the whole programme components and interventions. A key focus will be on the EU funded Social economic empowerment project;
- Assess priority technical requirements of the programme
- Provide technical and managerial support to UNFPA partners in the implementation of the programme
- Organize and participate in periodic technical reviews as well as programme evaluation exercises.
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, provides direct support and leadership in the implementation of activities in area of Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health and social economic empowerment of youth in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures.
- Supports and leads the CO’s Youth Peace and Security component and interventions.
- Strategically, analyses and interprets the political, social and economic environment relevant to adolescents and youth, and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention both in humanitarian and development context.
- Expedites and coordinates project implementation by establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of project inputs and addressing training needs of counterparts.
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging sexual and reproductive health and youth issues both in the development and humanitarian set up, by analysing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of Country Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project proposals, project summaries, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Work closely and systematically with key partners, other UN sister agencies and other relevant stakeholders to support coordination of UN Inter-Agency working group on Youth, joint UN team on AIDS and others.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Social Sciences, Sociology, Demography, Gender, Economics, International Relations, International Development, Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, Communications or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional work experience with a minimum of 2 years of experience in humanitarian and relief operations;
- Strong technical knowledge in the youth programming and application of social and behavioral change in the area of youth
- Experience in project management
- Previous work experience in UN system would be an advantage;
- Extensive network within the development and humanitarian community
- Interest in the field of development and Humanitarian
Fluency in written and spoken English language is essential.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda;
- Leveraging the resources of partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships;
- Delivering results-based programmes;
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Providing strategic focus;
- Engaging internal/external partners;
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance;
- Making decisions and exercising judgment.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, rental subsidy, education grant, home leave, health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.