Position: AME Assistant (In-charge of Database)
Direct hierarchy: AME Manager
Starting date: December 2022
- Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Appraisal Monitoring Evaluation (AME) Assistant position based in Hargeisa with occasional travels to the field.
- Position Profile
The AME Assistant – Database is responsible for supporting the maintaining and upgrading the central and project-specific databases, conducting data analysis, and supporting the design of various database tools and strategies.
The main objectives of this position is:
- Create and maintain appropriate databases for all projects, in line with ACTED AME guidelines;
- Provide accurate, reliable and insightful data analysis as required.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
- Database Management System Implementation
- Support maintaining the country’s central and project-specific databases;
- Ensure all data is entered and updated in the databases and tables;
- Support the AME field teams in ensuring that data is collected in a timely and accurate manner according to the reporting and monitoring requirements;
- Check the quality of the data submitted by field staff;
- Liaise with field staff regarding missing data, eventual mistakes, data discrepancies and/or inconsistencies;
- Perform “clean data” when needed;
- Ensure proper filing of hard and soft copies of survey questionnaires, lists of beneficiaries or other data collection tools or documents;
- Maintain and further develop the structure or format of the databases as required;
- Implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability;
- Provide database technical support to ACTED teams, and troubleshoot both hardware and software issues.
- Data Analysis
- Verify the accuracy of the data collected during assessments;
- Clean data collected during assessments and flag any issues to the relevant departments;
- Extract queries, figures, and reports from the database;
- Generate data visualization such as charts, graphs, tables to be included in communication tools, reports, assessments and any other documents as per needs;
- In collaboration with the AME Officers, provide data analysis of projects’ activities and assessment data;
- Support the improvements of the data collection tools and processes and pilot new ideas with assessment teams in the field.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Participate in database-related workshops and meetings as required;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics or closely related to field
- Strong statistical analysis and IT skills, including use of Databases, SPSS, Stata, and Excel for data analysis.
- Knowledge in designing and deployment of mobile-based data collection tools (ODK) is an added advantage.
- Proficient understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation, including the ability to work effectively with tight timelines, high quality standards, and demanding, potentially overlapping priorities.
- Experience of social research methods to conduct monitoring and evaluation for humanitarian and development initiatives/interventions.
- At least 2 years of work experience in a similar field; experience with humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Good English communications skills (both oral and written). Fluency in Somali language
- Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines
- High level of integrity, transparency and honesty.
How to apply
Qualified Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 09 December 2022 with the subject line “AME_DATABASE ASSISTANT – HARGEISA”
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.