Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
E (most hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Non Family with Residential Location
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
CONTR Local Entry and Mid-Level Support
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 9, 2023
Terms of Reference
1. General Background
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering an Assistant Information Management Officer position within the Somalia Team in RO Mogadishu.
The Assistant Information Management Officer for the Protection Cluster will be within UNHCR’s Protection Cluster Unit, and will work closely with UNHCR Mogadishu Information Management Section. This position is a unique opportunity to gain experience in not-for-profit branding, experience working within the UN system in a diverse and dynamic team, while focusing on information management in the area of humanitarian protection.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
CO-ORDINATION AND PLANNING
• Support in inter-cluster data and information management and analysis and act as Protection Cluster IM focal point for OCHA and other clusters
• Represent Protection Cluster in the Inter-Agency and Assessment WG chaired by OCHA, in close collaboration with the Cluster Coordinator and with support of IMs of the Areas of Responsibility – AORs (Child Protection, Gender-Based Violence, House, Land and Property and Explosive Hazards).
• Coordinate information management activities of the Protection Cluster, working closely with the Areas of Responsibility and provide information management services to the AoRs and act as IM focal point for the cluster with OCHA.
• Ensure the dissemination and adaptation as necessary of information management tools that meet Cluster needs
• Ensure linkages with all Cluster stakeholders, particularly national actors, for enhanced sectoral risk mapping and gap and needs analysis.
• Provide sector-specific maps and graphics on a regular basis that aid forward planning
• Ensure application of appropriate information technology for maintenance of Protection Cluster partner lists (e.g through Mailchimp) and archiving of information (e.g through data portal / sharepoint or other website)
• Promote the use of inter-operable technologies among Protection Cluster partners
MONITORING AND REPORTING
• Ensure adequate monitoring mechanisms are in place to review impact of the cluster and progress against the Humanitarian Response strategy and targets (as per HRP Monitoring Framework
• Ensure monthly collection and consolidation of data on Protection Cluster response, and production of key information projects (5Ws, partners map, dashboard on cluster response, directory, maps on cluster coordination)
• Provide assistance in ensuring Cluster partners provide timely, consistent and compatible data from assessments and monitoring to inform the response
• Develop information products for the Protection Cluster, in particular with regard to the findings of protection monitoring and assessments.
• Conduct analysis of quantitative and qualitative datasets to contribute to the protection analysis
• Work closely with UNHCR Information Management Team to provide data and protection analysis based on the Protection and Return Monitoring Framework for the Protection Cluster.
• Assist in training on the use of reporting tools among Protection cluster members, assistance providers and other stakeholders
• In consultation with the Senior Protection Cluster Coordinator, develop information management tools for the sub-national Protection Cluster coordinators and assist in training partners / frontlines at sub-national level to operationalize these tools.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
UNHCR continues to provide protection and assistance to its persons of concern (PoCs), including refugees, asylum-seekers, refugee returnees, and IDPs across the country – directly and through partners. Displaced families face multiple protection risks and are in dire need of food, shelter, and Non-Food Items (NFIs). UNHCR-led also leads three clusters: Protection Cluster, CCCM Cluster and Shelter / NFI Cluster, fostering Tri-Cluster approaches when possible.
UNHCR leads the Protection Cluster in partnership with a co-coordinator from the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) to ensure coordination of the response of a wide group of international and national partners providing protection services and assistance to girls, boys, women and men at heightened risk, and conducting protection monitoring and assessments in Somalia. The goal of the Protection Cluster Goal is to deliver both life-saving and life-sustaining protection assistance and services for the most vulnerable drought and conflict-affected people across Somalia.
It is with this background that UNHCR is looking for an experienced Assistant Information Management Officer to support Protection Cluster’s information management-related work.
The incumbent will perform under the direct supervision of the Senior Protection Cluster Coordinator, based in Mogadishu and will benefit from technical advice and support from the UNHCR Information Management Officer for Somalia Operation.
4. Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess a degree/diploma in a relevant field in information management, geographic sciences information technology, statistics or related field of studies
• Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze large quantitative and qualitative datasets
• Interest in conflict analysis, human rights, social studies
b. Work Experience
At least three year’s combined field experience in humanitarian organizations (e.g UN agencies, INGOs, Donors, IFRC or ICRC)
• Possess experience with handling confidential data, demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and capable of building and maintaining databases and filing systems for project management
• Experience in web design, graphic design and software development is an asset. Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and operating procedures
c. Key Competencies
Be fluent in English, with advanced writing and editing skills. Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
• Have excellent IT skills with experience using the Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), PowerBI.
• Have very good communication skills, with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and develop.
• Be highly organized and have good attention to detail.
• Be able to multi-task and to prioritize workload.
• Be flexible and a team-player.
Standard Job Description
An eliminatory test will be conducted for all shortlisted candidates. Only candidates who pass the test will proceed to the next interview stage.This position doesn’t require a functional clearance