- Mogadishu, Somalia
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted Today
- job requisition id
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
E (most hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Non Family with Residential Location
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 13, 2023
Terms of Reference
1. General Background
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering an Assistant Information Management Officer position within the Somalia Team in RO Mogadishu.
The Assistant Information Management Officer for the Shelter Cluster will be within UNHCR’s Shelter Cluster Unit, and will work closely with UNHCR Mogadishu Information Management Section. This position is a unique opportunity to work within the UN system in a diverse and dynamic team, while focusing on information management in the area of Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI).
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
CO-ORDINATION AND PLANNING
• Support in inter-cluster data and information management and analysis and act as Shelter Cluster IM focal point for OCHA and other clusters
• Represent Shelter Cluster in the Information Management Working Group (IMWG) chaired by OCHA, in close collaboration with the Cluster Coordinator
• Ensure the dissemination and adaptation as necessary of information management tools that meet Cluster needs
• Ensure linkages with all Cluster stakeholders, particularly national actors, for enhanced gap and needs analysis.
• Provide sector-specific maps and graphics on a regular basis that aid forward planning
• Ensure application of appropriate information technology for maintenance of Shelter Cluster member lists (e.g through Mailchimp) and archiving of information (e.g through data portal / sharepoint or other website)
MONITORING AND REPORTING
• Ensure adequate monitoring mechanisms are in place to review impact of the cluster and progress against the Humanitarian Response strategy and targets (as per HRP Monitoring Framework)
• Ensure monthly collection and consolidation of data on Shelter Cluster response, and production of key information products (4Ws, partners map, dashboard on cluster response, directory, maps on cluster coordination)
• Provide assistance in ensuring Cluster partners provide timely, consistent and compatible data from assessments and monitoring to inform the response
• Develop information products for the Shelter Cluster, in particular with regard to the findings of assessments and available data in IDP sites.
• Conduct analysis of quantitative and qualitative datasets to contribute to the analysis
• Work closely with UNHCR Information Management Team to use displacement data analysis from the Protection and Return Monitoring Framework for the Shelter Cluster.
• Assist in training on the use of reporting tools among Shelter Cluster members, assistance providers and other stakeholders
• In consultation with the Senior Shelter Cluster Coordinator, develop information management tools for the sub-national Shelter Cluster coordinators and assist in training partners at sub-national level to operationalize these tools.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
UNHCR leads the Shelter Cluster in partnership with the Norwegian Refugee Council (DRC) to ensure coordination of the response of a wide group of international and national partners providing shelter and NFI assistance to affected populations in Somalia. The goal of the Shelter Cluster Goal is to deliver both life-saving and life-sustaining assistance for the most vulnerable drought and conflict-affected people across Somalia.
It is with this background that UNHCR is looking for an experienced Assistant Information Management Officer to support Shelter Cluster’s information management-related work.
The incumbent will perform under the direct supervision of the Senior Shelter Cluster Coordinator, based in Mogadishu and will benefit from technical advice and support from the UNHCR Information Management Officer for Somalia Operation.
4. Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess a degree/diploma in a relevant field in information management, geographic sciences information technology, statistics or related field of studies
• Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze large quantitative and qualitative datasets
• Interest in conflict analysis, human rights, social studies
b. Work Experience
• At least three year’s combined field experience in humanitarian organizations (e.g UN agencies, INGOs, Donors, IFRC or ICRC)
• Possess experience with handling confidential data, demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies and capable of building and maintaining databases and filing systems for project management
• Experience in web design, graphic design and software development is an asset. Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and operating procedures
c. Key Competencies
• Be fluent in English, with advanced writing and editing skills. Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
• Have excellent IT skills with experience using the Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Have good experience with other relevant software such as ActivityInfo, PowerBI, R, KoBo and ArcGIS is desirable.
• Have very good communication skills, with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and develop.
• Be highly organized and have good attention to detail.
• Be able to multi-task and to prioritize workload.
• Be flexible and a team-player.
Standard Job Description
An eliminatory Written test would be undertaken by all shortlisted candidates.
With the candidates passing proceeding to the next interview stage.This position doesn’t require a functional clearance