WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Position: Assistant Storekeeper Intern
Location: Berbera- Somaliland
Date of Issue: 1st December 2022
Closing Date: 18th December 2022
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Why join WFP in Somaliland?
The World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners
The Female Internship Programme
The Female Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates across the globe. The programme will provide selected candidates with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of WFP. This will promote better understanding of WFP Somalia’s mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. You will be part of a dynamic team that effectively identifies, monitors, evaluates, and manages the organization’s strategic, operational, and financial risks in support of WFP’s country strategic plan for Somalia.
This position is open to qualified Somali female nationals.
What will you do?
Under the guidance and supervision of the Logistics Assistant, the intern will be required to undertake the following:
- Support receipt/dispatch of commodities including transshipment ensuring accuracy in the physical count of commodities in compliance with the established standards.
- Prepare and verify warehouse and transport documents, and maintain confidential files and accurate warehouse transaction records, to ensure immediate reporting on commodity movements in line with the corporate requirements.
- Support daily warehouse closing reconciliation and accurate inventory checks in compliance with the warehouse management requirements.
- Perform daily inspections and prepare reports on the quantity and quality of the commodities received/dispatched.
- Support implementation of appropriate measures to safeguard food and non-food commodities to ensure quality control using standard preventive measures in line with WFP established procedures.
- Monitor the condition of the warehouse and commodities and take appropriate actions to support efficient warehouse
- Perform any other duty as required.
Do you meet the minimum requirements?
The Internship Programme is open to Somali female candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Completed an undergraduate or graduate degree programme (e.g., a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree) at a recognized university, studying in the area of Logistics and Supply Chain management, Business Administration, Statistics, /or other relevant field or/and with a great interest for Logistics work.
- Candidates must have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in the last 12 months
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and Somali
Are you competent for this job? Do you have
- Desire to learn about and develop key skills in the field of Logistics storekeeping.
- Flexible work style and approach based on client needs.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Team player and problem solver.
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills; high attention to details.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized way.
- Technology savvy: ability to think out-of-the box and to come up with innovative ideas.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office package, particularly of Excel and PowerPoint.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Duration 8 Months
Application deadline: 18th December 2022
WFP does not charge any application fees to candidates.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.