Position: CCCM Accountability Assistants
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Location: Baidoa and Kismayo, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: CCCM Accountability Officer
Number of positions: Two (2)
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Two (2) CCCM Accountability Assistant positions one (1) BAIDOA and one (1)KISMAYO, Somalia.
The CCCM Accountability Assistant supports the Accountability Officer in the registration/follow-up of site residents’/partners’ complaints, feedbacks, or request for information in the camp. Through the accurate registration and timely follow up of any complaint/feedbacks/request of information about living conditions/ service provision in the camp, the CCCM Accountability unit ensures related information provision (i.e. for request for inputs), subsequent follow-up with actor responsible of the service provision (i.e. complaints) and inclusion of residents’/partners’ feedbacks in the CCCM camp strategy. Under the management of the Accountability Officer, the Accountability assistant supervises the CCCM Monitors in completion of the accountability related tasks.
Support the Implementation/Follow up all Complaint and Response Mechanism (CRM)-related activities in the sites:
- Support Accountability Officer to Establish/Promote CCCM Complaints Feedbacks Mechanism in the camp:
- Establish, implement and monitor the CCCM CRM in the sites;
- Determine appropriate channels to raise complaints/feedbacks/request in information in the site-specific context through community consultation (i.e. FGDs, listening groups, KII…)
- Carry out awareness campaign on the existence of the CCCM Accountability unit and its mandate.
- Build capacity and understanding among ACTED CCCM team and actors active in the sites on the roles & responsibilities so the CCCM CRM;
- Develop site-adapted IEC materials on the Accountability, ensuring inclusiveness through adapted medium to vulnerable communities.
- Regularly assess effectiveness of all information-sharing efforts and incorporate findings into revised approaches;
- Maintain records of Accountability awareness raising and promotion activities (including approximate numbers of participants) and submit to CCCM Accountability Officer as required.
- Support Accountability Officer to Ensure accurate registration and timely follow-up of complaints/feedbacks/request for inputs from camp residents and active actors in the camp:
- Ensure the effective functioning the CCCM CRM and that site residents/partners complaints/feedbacks/request for inputs are adequately captured, analysed, addressed and responded to in a timely manner and utilized by the program and coordination teams;
- Receive complaints/feedbacks/request for inputs through dedicated Accountability hotline (i.e. phone call and WhatsApp number), and Accountability email address;
- Receive complaints/feedbacks/request for inputs through Accountability desk and through CCCM Mobilizers.
- Consolidate complaints/feedbacks/request for inputs in the Accountability database and classify level of complaints/feedbacks/request to define the course of action and its implementation timeline.
- Treat urgent and/or sensitive complaints with the immediate attention they require and ensure a fast resolution.
- Maintain confidential and detailed records of all complaints in the Accountability database and other electronic and hard copy filing systems, as appropriate.
- Produce a monthly analytic Accountability report for ACTED staff, following ACTED template.
- Adapt and improve the Accountability based on monitoring of its effectiveness.
- Ensure protection mainstreaming through the Accountability activities.
- Support and consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities.
- Adhere and Promote to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse principles and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies)
- Support and promote participation of women, youth, and marginalised groups
- Refer immediately protection cases identified to ACTED Protection Officer for referral to protection actors.
Manage the Governance unit:
- Support the Accountability Officer in the management of Accountability activities
- Ensure regular follow-ups on weekly and long-term work plan implementation of ACCOUNTABILITY activities.
- Provide inputs for the elaboration of Procurement plans as requested by the IM/ACCOUNTABILITY Officer.
- Attend weekly CCCM team meetings.
- Flag directly foreseen challenges / issues arise in link with the IM/Accountability Officer, including security incidents.
- Attend inter-actor Operational/Sectorial/Ad hoc meetings in the camp.
- Support the CCCM Accountability Officer in identifying areas for improvement and developing site strategy;
- Ensure accurate record keeping of project documentation, including photos, as requested by the CCCM IM/Accountability Officer.
- Ensure compliance to ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures.
- Ensure thorough reporting (i.e. weekly report to CCCM Accountability Officer).
- Participation in recruitment of new staff, under guidance of the CCCM Accountability Officer.
- Day to day supervision and management CCCM Mobilizer’s (i.e. attendance sheet signature, follow-up with finance)
- Commitment to continuous learning through trainings and timely identification of capacity-building needs and opportunities, in coordination with the CCCM Accountability Officer / PM / HR department.
- At least 1 year experience working in the accountability unit of the MEAL department or CCCM department of INGOs and/or International Institutions.
- At least 6-month experience managing a team of enumerators.
- University degree in a relevant subject (i.e. social science, public administration, communication, law);
- Intermediate skills with the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. particularly MS Excel);
- Fluency local language and good English (i.e. speaking and writing);
- Ability to translate questionnaire from English to local language.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong attention to details.
- Does not reside in the camp or work for another actor active in the camp.
- 1-year Managerial experience, including leading/supervising staff, report writing, meeting facilitation
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “CCCM ACCOUNTABILITY ASSISTANT (indicate location eg BAIDOA OR KISMAYO” Kindly indicate only one LOCATION and Apply for ONLY ONE POSITION.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.