About World Vision International
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
International Assignment – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
The purpose of the Chief of Party (CoP) Local Governance and Reconciliation Activity (LGRA) position in Somalia is to manage structure, coordinate and support the full USAID-funded People-Centered Governance Activities in Somalia. The position will support Somali communities in establishing the initial governance and safety conditions necessary to address the long-term social, economic, and political causes of Somalia’s instability by reducing the factors that enable violent extremist organizations (VEOs) to gain and maintain influence. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and World Vision regulations.
- Manage proactive and responsive relationship with USAID in close collaboration with World Vision staff, both in Somalia and in the U.S.
- Direct and oversee grant implementation, ensuring that all strategic objectives are met through proper design, staffing, implementation, and quality assurance.
- Establish a comprehensive understanding about major policy, strategy and program landscape of governance and reconciliation activities in the Country; identify, develop and undertake viable strategies for successful institutionalization and sustainability of governance and reconciliation activities.
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
- Ensure the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Ensure the application of robust evidence and learning system to inform the implementation of the project
- Consistently look for more effective and efficient implementation methods and opportunities to increase impact in children with disabilities and disadvantages.
- Responsible for ensuring the program is implemented successfully and within established timelines
- Provide policy and strategy level advisory assistance to Somalia government and other major governance and reconciliation activities actors
- Represent World Vision Somalia with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Liaise with local government officials, especially education officials, local communities, donor representatives and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Liaise with government departments, local government officials, local communities, donor representatives and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Influence decision makers and policy designers to inculcate the project results.
- The CoP will work closely with the awards manager to ensure that the project is implemented according to USAID polices and principles and that there are no disallowable expenses.
- Manage grant/project budget within approved spending levels and ensure project staff submit accurate and timely financial reports, forecasts, and burn rate analyses to donors and Support Office staff.
- Fully agreeable performance to USAID polices/procedures & requirements
Required Professional Experience
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, international development, management, policy, public administration, political science, law, international relations, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing programs of a similar focus and complexity, on topics such as community building, decentralization, conflict mitigation, local governance, public engagement, and/or institutional capacity-building programs
- Familiarity with USAID programs, their history and their development; mastery of USAID regulations governing such programs.
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, effective organizational development, partnership building, managerial, team building, and communications skills.
- Proven ability to coordinate with other key stakeholders such as governmental and non-governmental organizations in Somalia.
- Strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Experience of leading large and diverse teams.
- Experience in leading and managing large grants in a complex environment.
- Experience as a CoP, “key personnel”, or senior expert advisor required.
- Experience in managing sub grants and contracts under grants for complex projects.
- Fluency in English.
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Sound knowledge and experience of effective and proven experiences of coaching large teams.
- Sound knowledge and experience of on governance and reconciliation
- Sound knowledge of strategies and techniques to manage the effective implementation of USAID funded large grants.
- Excellent relationship building skills including ability to engage and influence across all levels with key decision makers / executives of a variety of key external organisations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team.
- Experience successfully building local capacity and local systems strengthening through programming.
Travel and/or Work
- Requirement Work environment: Office-based with some travel
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 25 % of the time.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted