JOB DESCRIPTION – COMMUNICATION OFFICER
Job Grade: 4
Coverage: Putland State
Reports To: SRCS Communication Manager in Mogadishu.
The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization that was founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. It was then recognized by the ICRC in 1969 and in the same year became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent societies.
The Somali Red Crescent Society is currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill the vacant position of Puntland zone Communication Officer based in Garowe.
Overall Job Purpose
- Support the design, development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive communications strategy across all channels, such as broadcast, print, online, website and social media platforms aimed at raising the visibility of SRCS programme activities and build a positive image in order to create good-will and credibility.
- Supports, in cooperation with concerned SRCS departments, to identify, assess and analyse the problems affecting the health care in the country and develop and implement appropriate response activities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate and contribute to the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the communication plan to support strategic priorities and change interventions.
- Disseminate knowledge of international humanitarian law, norms and the Fundamental Principles of the Movement among the population, partners, humanitarian actors and all levels of government.
- Contribute to the design and update publicity materials, website, social media channels to engage with relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate media relations, monitor media coverage, promptly respond to media inquiries and requests to promote coverage of SRCS programme activities.
- Document human interest and news stories of SRCS programme activities, initiatives and expertise can be illustrated and promoted.
- Support the planning and organization of conferences, events, exhibitions and all humanitarian emergency campaigns to inform stakeholders and enhance SRCS image and reputation
- Manage and update relevant mailing lists and contact information, including the media.
- Consolidate and compile monthly, quarterly and yearly reports from the branches.
- Any other task that his immediate supervisor may assign him.
Health Care in Danger (HCiD)
- Develop a contextual mapping and problem analysis in health care in danger.
- Based on the problem analysis and the identification of priorities, develop a plan of action based on keys fields requiring intervention.
- Identify and mobilize local stakeholders on the issue (humanitarian diplomacy).
- Conduct capacity building of SRCS staff and volunteers.
- Ensure good internal communication on HCiD related issues.
- Represent SRCS at various fora and attend relevant meetings and events to promote communication programme activities
- Foster partnership and networks with donors, stakeholders, humanitarian actors, government officials in developing and implementing communication programmes.
- Build and foster alliances and networks that enhance knowledge generation and sharing, learning and collaboration among relevant organisations and individuals
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the SRCS Senior Management
Skills and Qualifications
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Bachelor`s degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as Communication, Humanitarian action, English, International relations or Journalism
- 3 years’ work experience in public communication and/or field operational communication
- Sound knowledge of the political, Social and media environment of the region
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent command of Somali and English language; knowledge of Maay Maay is an asset
- Computer proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with digital communication tools
- Ability and willingness to travel across Somalia, in particular within South West State
- Demonstrate proficiency in Somali and English languages
How to apply
Interested candidates should email their updated CV, cover letter, in one PDF, to email@example.com
Note: applications which do not meet the above requirements will not be considered. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please write the position you are applying on the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: 5th December, 2022.