Communications Officer Somalia
About Human Appeal
Here at Human Appeal we have an exciting opportunity for a Communications Officer to be based at our Somalia Office. This is 12 month fixed term contract, renewable depend on availability of funding with $900 – $1100 gross salary per month depending on experience.
Human Appeal is a faith-based charity that aims to abolish poverty by providing humanitarian aid, sustainable development programs and championing advocacy for our beneficiaries worldwide. Human Appeal has seven International Field Offices across the globe.
Please note, this is a local contract, for this role you must have the right to work in Somalia.
Main Job Purpose
The Communications Officer will be working in close coordination with Programmes Coordinators, Managers and the Country Director to ensure all programmes/ project information is shared with Global Communications colleagues at the head-office. This includes, but is not limited to: needs assessments, quarterly reports, annual reports, end of project reports and research to be conducted on behalf of the organisation etc. Support Fund raising initiatives when required including live appeals. Proactively build Human Appeal Somalia positive media and PR profile, increasing visibility and credibility amongst key stakeholders through engaging journalists, pitching stories, writing blogs, managing local social media channels, hosting live/remote events and other initiatives. Developing and delivering a local communications strategy in line with Human Appeal’s global vision and brand in order to support our programmes, marketing, campaigns and advocacy work
Media content production and management
- To be responsible for gathering, editing and sharing high quality multimedia content from Human Appeal Somalia’s key field locations in order to meet the needs of global stakeholders in a timely manner and according to pre-agreed deadlines and specifications.
- To arrange and visit field locations, often in remote and difficult areas at short notice, in order to collect media material including identifying people to interview, gaining consent, carrying out detailed recorded interviews, taking photos and recording appropriate video footage.
- To proactively propose and produce media content to communicate the humanitarian, development and advocacy challenges in the region and the impact of Human Appeal’s work.
- To manage all Human Appeal Somalia’s media content including editing, sorting, labelling, translating, updating and sharing on the appropriate platforms – including Human Appeal’s photo and video database – in an accurate and efficient way.
- To develop and maintain a library of media resource materials and products enabling provision of content on demand.
- To design and publish communications products, including banners and videos, in accordance with Human Appeal’s brand guidelines.
Communications service delivery
- To provide a fast and efficient all round media and communications service to colleagues in Human Appeal Somalia and at headquarters.
- To manage one’s own time and schedule to ensure all content deadlines are met and allow contingency for unexpected requests and emergencies.
- To research, prepare, fact-check and produce professional media and communications materials for different audiences, ensuring all necessary approvals and timely dissemination.
- To produce regular reports and media summaries, as well as support the production of Human Appeal’s reports including donor feedback reports, the Annual Report and the reporting requirements of institutional partners.
- To provide content ideas and stories to local and global colleagues, and support them with accompanying media materials as required.
- To manage Human Appeal Somalia’s local communication needs including producing newsletters, reports, briefings and presentations.
- To ensure a work log of activities has been filled out, enhancing transparency and accountability of work conducted.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for Human Appeal Somalia in line with the organization’s global strategy.
- Support the development of project communications plans and provide advice for programme staff.
- Ensure adherence to Human Appeal ethical policies including safeguarding, consent, dignity, data protection and inclusion across all Human Appeal country communications and practices.
- Ensure the visibility and correct use of Human Appeal branding and logo across all programme activities and publicity, including managing the requirements of donors and institutional partners.
- Encourage, develop and provide guidance to field staff to adhere to contribute to the media activities of Human Appeal and adhere to communications policies.
- Stay up to date with the latest thinking on how to improve effectiveness of media and communication approaches and impact.
- Develop communications-related tools and templates as required.
- Maintain and protect Human Appeal’s communication tools and assets including camera equipment.
Media, publicity and PR
- To work closely with the communications team at headquarters to develop Human Appeal’s messaging to public media audiences.
- To raise awareness of humanitarian, development and advocacy issues in Human Appeal’s areas of work, whilst maximizing publicity of the impact of our programmes.
- To liaise regularly with international teams (Communications, Fundraising, Marketing and Programmes) on campaigns such as Ramadan, Qurbani, Winter and others to ensure maximum visibility.
- To host livestreams, webinars and digital events including live coverage of our programmes activity.
- To organise advocacy and PR campaigns, events and other initiatives in alignment with the global communications priorities of Human Appeal.
- To build strong relationships with local media, regularly pitching stories and content ideas.
- To develop press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organise press conferences, media briefings and visits of journalists and VIPs to programme locations.
- To manage Human Appeal’s in-country communications including social media platforms where appropriate and with appropriate sign-offs.
- To proactively and/or reactively deal with all media inquiries and escalate issues to appropriate senior staff where required.
- To monitor and to evaluate news and media coverage generated to draw lessons to improve coverage.
- To develop and maintain a database of local, regional and international media correspondents.
- Any other communications-related task as required or directed.
- The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- NB: Employee duties are not limited only to the above-mentioned Accountabilities; he/she may perform other duties as assigned.
- BA degree in a relevant communications subject, English or international development.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience working in the media environment, either as a journalist or as a media officer in a development, campaigns or humanitarian organisation
- IT literacy including using Microsoft Office, photo and video editing software and design programmes.
- Ability to work with digital equipment, filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages.
- Experience of producing quality media materials including writing human interest stories, production of videos and excellent photography skills
- Fluent in Spoken and written English and Arabic’
HOW TO APPLY:
We are looking to appoint this role ASAP and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so for the best chance of success please click the link; and apply’ today to become our Communications Officer- we would love to hear from you.
Please note that we will only be contacting the Shortlisted candidates.
*Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply*