Direct hierarchy: Senior Driver
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Starting date: May 2023
Number of positions: Three (3) positions
I. Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Three (3) Driver positions based in Mogadishu.
II. Position Profile
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Senior Logistics Officer, the driver ensures that ACTED’s staff are driven safely to meetings, workshops, and other work-related destinations; and that the ACTED vehicle under his/her charge is maintained in an optimal working condition.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide transport to ACTED staff e.g. to and from meetings, field missions, airport etc when needed and ensure highest quality, courteous, efficient services and safe driving for all occupants.
- Collect and deliver mail, packages, equipment; and maintains records of all deliveries and distributions.
- Comply, always observe the Traffic rules and ACTED’s policies on driving.
- Plan ahead to meet anticipated travel requirements. Fuelling, pre-travel checks, travel docs, vehicle expenses and any other docs and persons traveling for packing instructions and timings.
- Ensure all vehicle maintenance services are carried out in accordance with set service schedules and checklist duly signed and completed.
- Submit reports indicating vehicle condition and undertake all repair work assigned properly to meet set standards in readiness for travel. Also, to continuously monitor condition of the vehicle assigned to and promptly report to the Senior Logistics Officer in case of any damages, accidents and incidents.
- Perform operational inspection of vehicle on a regular basis and before and after long trips to include tires, lights, brakes, fuel, oil, water, and interior.
- Performs minor repairs, arranges for regular maintenance, and ensures that the vehicle is always kept clean and in good running condition.
- Ensures safety and custody of the vehicle, including tools.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance,
- registration, logs, first aid kit, accessories and necessary spare parts are in the assigned vehicle. Also be accountable for them.
- Ensures that, in the event of an accident involving his assigned vehicle, the necessary steps required by rules and regulations are followed.
- Routinely check the assigned vehicles Licenses, Insurances and promptly advice the Senior Logistics Officer when renewals are due.
- Report immediately on route changes due to security, bad weather, road conditions or otherwise to the Senior Logistics Officer as the situations arises.
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required.
- Exchanges relevant information and maintains an open line of communication with colleagues and his/her supervisor.
- When appropriate, undertake other related duties assigned by the supervisor and/or management.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members.
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
IV. Qualifications/Skills and Experience Required
- At least 5 years of relevant technical work experience. Experience working in an INGO is a plus
- Free from Qat and cigarettes addiction.
- Valid driving license from the government and good driving record recommendation.
- Certificate or diploma in Auto mechanic skills will be an added advantage.
- A certificate of good conduct (Non-Criminal Certificate) is mandatory.
- Knowledge of traffic rules and regulations, driver’s protocol, and courtesies
- Must be conversant with the road network and traffic regulations of Somaliland and its main cities.
- Defensive driving certificate is a plus.
- Experience in providing logistical support will be an advantage.
- Basic mechanical skill to be able to do small repairs if necessary.
- Fluency in oral and written Somali is mandatory.
- English Language: Moderate in Oral and Writing.
- Computer Skills: Elementary use of computers (e.g. email, internet, word processing) is a plus
- Values: Must be Trustworthy and reliable; proven Integrity and good human relation /Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
How to apply
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March 2023 with the subject line “DRIVER – MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.