SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates.
Position Title: Driver (1 position)
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/040/2022
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Dollow, Somalia
Classification : General Service, Grade G2
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, nine months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 January, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Supply Chain Officer, the direct supervision of the
Procurement and Logistics Officer in Mogadishu and under the administrative supervision of
Head of Sub Office/OIC in Dollow and in close coordination with Procurement and logistics
Assistant in Kismayo. The Driver will perform the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Drive IOM vehicles inside and outside Dollow, including on convoys, and execute
tasks as assigned by the Procurement and Logistics Assistant.
- Ensure the safety of passengers, cargo and vehicle and observe traffic rules and
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s), including armoured
Vehicles, to ensure roadworthiness before departure. This includes daily check of
tires, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc. Ensure cleanliness of the vehicle(s) at all times
and mandatory MOSS equipment is present and in proper working order i.e. fire
- Collect mail/cargo and deliver various documents/items as planned by the
Procurement and Logistics Assistant.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates.
- Fill in the inspection sheet of vehicle status and share with the Procurement and Logistics Assistant. Report promptly any defects or malfunctioning of the vehicle that requires immediate attention to the Procurement and Logistics Assistant.
- Driving IOM vehicles, transport persons and goods authorized by IOM, from one destination to another in a timely, safe and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that in case of accident, supervisors are informed and a (police) report is obtained. In no case should the driver accept responsibility.
- Maintain the vehicle road log sheet including the fuel status and oil changing
- Follow all security procedures and coordinate with the Field Security Officer and Local Security Assistant on security matters and convoy planning.
- Follow the rules and regulations of driving IOM vehicles at all times.
- Be prepared and willing to work on weekend shifts as requested and on regular basis.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time
• High School Degree from an accredited academic institution with two years of driving experience for a large organization and/ or companies
• In possession of a valid driving license (A, B, C, D, E class).
• Possession of a recent certificate of good conduct from the NISA department.
• Good knowledge and working experience with HF and VHF Radios.
• Experience in working with UN agencies/ International NGOs/ Tour companies will be added advantage.
• Safe driving record.
• Good knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs.
• Good knowledge of routes within Mogadishu and surroundings.
• Trained in all terrain, defensive driving, and armoured vehicle driving.
• Flexible in terms of working hours.
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.