How you can make a difference
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Additionally, s/he drives the office vehicle for transporting authorized personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the UNFPA office.
You would be responsible for:
- Driving for UN officials and staff. Ensuring provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensuring cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensuring proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
- Ensuring proper use of vehicle maintenance plans and assistance in preparing vehicle history report.
- Ensuring availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Keeping track of insurance and other tax formalities
- Ensuring that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- When necessary, translates in local language for the head of the office and/or official personnel using the car.
- Assisting office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required. Assisting in the mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications and arranges to pay office telephone and other bills, as required.
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Internal contacts with UNFPA staff and visiting officials. Collaborates with other drivers in the office.
External contacts relate to pick-up and deliveries and arrival/departure formalities. May collaborate with other UN Agency Drivers for major functions. Interacts with national and international partners in carrying out his/her duties
Education: Completed Secondary Level education.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Valid driver’s license
- Three years work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
- Providing logistical support
- Managing data
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and work flow
- Planning, organizing and multitasking
Languages: Knowledge of English and Somali, both oral and written is essential.
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of equality, diversity, integrity, and healthy work life balance. We are committed to ensuring gender parity and therefore encourage women to apply.
Individuals from minority groups, indigenous populations, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Note: UNFPA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNFPA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Appointment, Compensation and Benefits:
The initial fixed-term appointment of a staff member shall be for a period of one year. A fixed-term appointment may be renewed, subject to satisfactory service. A fixed-term appointment does not carry any expectancy, legal or otherwise, of renewal or conversion, irrespective of the length of service.
UNFPA offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm