JOB DESCRIPTION – DRM Officer (1 Position)
Disaster Risk Reduction
Disaster Management Director
SRCS is an independent, non-political humanitarian organisation. It was established in April 1963 and became a legal entity following Presidential Decree No. 187 in 1965. SRCS has operated continuously throughout the country’s period of civil war and political divide and is credited for its unity as one National Society. It operates through a network of nineteen branches with activities spread all across the country.
SRCS is hereby recruiting a branch-level Disaster Risk Management Officer to be based in Galkayo who will support the implementation of the projects implemented by SRCS, under the grant management responsibility of movement partner
The Branch-level DRM Officer will be responsible for day-to-day implementation of tasks agreed by the project management team, liaison with community representatives and volunteers, and reporting to the branch coordinator and technically to the disaster risk management director based Mogadishu.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Ensure timely implementation of planned activities in the branch, and alert the branch coordinator on any anticipated delays or other difficulties.
- Establish close links with community representatives and volunteers in operational areas through continuous field presence, and provide day-to-day support and guidance in their work.
- Providing technical support to the DRM and CVA components of the project at community level, including community based DRR, Disaster Preparedness (DP stocks, warehousing, logistics), cash distribution and preparedness activities – depending on technical profile and under the direction and guidance of branch coordinator.
- Manage allocated funds in a diligent way, in accordance with plans and approved procedures.
- Prepare regular activity and financial reports in accordance with agreed templates and standards and submit them to the branch coordinator.
- Work closely with the branch finance officer, oversee budget implementation and discuss necessary action with the finance office, branch coordinator and DRM direcor.
- Ensure diligent use of project vehicles and fuel consumption, according to agreed procedures.
- Facilitate field visits by the coordination team and other SRCS staff, PNS partners and external visitors.
Duties applicable to the staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the SRCS and wider RC/RC
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager or delegated to another staff member by the line Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
Position Requirements and competencies
- Bachelor of Disaster preparedness management, , Agriculture, evelopment studies, Environmental studies, or relate field of studies.
- Atleast 3 to 4 years experience in implementing DRR activities, disaster risk management and/or cash and voucher assistance programmes.
- Awarenes of the main elements of the project management cycle
- Proven experience in field work, community engagement
- Proven experience in project monitoring and reporting
- Basic experience in financial management and reporting
- High motivation for improvement and ability to deliver in a challenging environment
- Dedication, commitment integrity communication and reporting skills
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Fluent in Somali language
- Teamwork, commitment to the RC/RC movement, integrity and personal conduct, sensitivity to diversity, flexibility and adaptability, initiative and direction, interpersonal skills, results focus; reporting.
- coordination, planning, management of budget and resources, supervision and control, communication, networking, team management.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their updated CV and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com
Note: applications which do not meet the above requirements will not be considered. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please write the position you are applying on the subject line. If you fail to write the subject line, your application will be disqualified.
Job disclaimer and notification:
Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.
Deadline for Applications: 11th May, 2023.