P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role Specific Information
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Education Projects. Use actions words such as conduct or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Work with the Community Education Committees (CECs) in the identification, enrolment and effective learning of the pupil to the respective education programme in accordance with NRC standards and criteria.
- Prepare requisition, distribute and monitor the use of school learning materials
- Regularly monitor and report on the project activities in the field
- Cost, requisition and administer teachers’, field based persons and activity participants’ payments and entitlements
- Conduct assessment on new school to start up
- Monitor and report on any protection related concerns that are identified through regular school visits and assessments.
- Make school visits to assess, monitor and give support to teachers supported by NRC.
- Assist in creating awareness in the community on the importance of education especially for girls, IDPs and other vulnerable pupils.
- Assist in translating various learning materials from English to Somali language for local understanding.
- Assist the teacher in developing learning material including teaching aids using locally available materials.
- Participate in trainings, workshops, meetings and seminars related to education and protection activities
- Generate consolidated and costed weekly, monthly & quarterly activity plans and reports.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in education, social science, or related qualification with a minimum of two years previous experience in education.
Technical education expertise relevant to the role. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
What We Offer
Contract period: 09 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Hargeisa
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.