The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
Provide administrative or technical support within the programmatic sectors reflected in Emergency and Recovery Programming Assist the Emergency and Recovery Officers in ensuring quality planning, implementation and follow up of activities. Sector responsibilities: multi-sector, life-saving interventions during acute crisis within the areas of cash, protection, shelter and non-food items, water, sanitation and hygiene and food security, covering all stages of project cycle management from programme design to implementation and monitoring and evaluation. Including implementation of livelihood activities as relevant. This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Programming and Operations:
- Support the implementation and delivery of emergency and recovery activities, including cash and voucher (CVA)programming, Shelter/NFI and Livelihood, in accordance with DRC guidelines, program objectives and accountability principles;
- Conduct House level assessment and registration for the in-kind, cash-based assistance.
- Support the Team Leader and the officer in the recovery activities such as livelihood and safety net.
- Participate in various field assessments, surveys, needs assessments, market assessment and monitoring, and other data collection to guide programming;
- Ensure equal participation by all segments of the community, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, clan, tribal and religious affiliations;
- Support the beneficiary’s identification, assessment and selection processes;
- Ensure collection of data is up to date;
- Set-up community committees and provide appropriate training so that committee members understand their roles and responsibilities;
- Undertake filing of all means of verification related to the distribution of cash and vouchers.
Support and Representation:
- Support as required by the Emergency and Recovery Officer/Team Leader in the procurement of emergency supplies and with the logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 2 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO or similar organisation
- Field experience in the Area
- Experience working with Cash and Voucher programming
- University Degree in social science, international development, economics, or political science.
- Excellent skills in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Experience in working with ODK, Kobo and data analysis
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length:12 Month
Band: This position is graded as Band I-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Galkacyo
Start date: 1st March 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 14 Feburary 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!