Purpose of Position Setting
To contribute to the planning and implementation of the activities related to the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
*Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective
To reduce childhood morbidity and mortality attributable to vaccine preventable diseases by implementing routine and supplemental immunization activities for children and women of childbearing age in accordance with established technical guidelines. To support introduction of new and underutilized vaccines in Somalia with demonstrated burden of diseases and as needed
*Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment)
Under the direct supervision of the Medical Officer and overall guidance of WHO Representative in Somalia, the incumbent will work closely with the national EPI team of the Ministry of Health and in close collaboration and coordination with VPI team and the Director of Communicable Disease to provide the necessary technical input for strengthening the immunization programme in Somalia. He/she is expected to provide the technical briefing to EPI in Somalia, and participate in drafting guidelines, within the framework of the regional guidelines of the different components of EPI (Measles elimination, routine immunization strengthening, new vaccines introduction…etc.).
*Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
The candidate will perform the following:
1. Monitor the MOH planning and micro planning activities as follows:
- Provide briefing to the national staff on district micro planning
- Maintain and update the district micro plans
- Update and evaluate the implementation of the Country Multi Years Plan (cMYP)
2. Strengthening routine immunization:
- Work with the MOH to adapt national plan, address the barriers for strengthening routine immunization, improve coverage and ensure equity
- Arrange for and compile materials fort the in the national capacities building activities for strengthening routine immunization.
3. Surveillance, monitoring and evaluation:
- Collect, collate and use Immunization Activities reporting and monitoring data for identifying low coverage areas, reasons for poor coverage and suggest possible reasons for low coverage different population groups.
- Collaborate with the MOH to build the national capacity for surveillance of vaccine preventable diseases, including data management of the sentinel sites surveillance networks
4. Introduction of new vaccines:
- Participate in preparing for new vaccines introduction including preparation of technically review draft guidelines and training materials.
- Provide orientation sessions for health providers on new vaccines introduction.
- Report on the planning and implementation of COVID 19 vaccines in the country.
Contribute effectively to the planning and implementation of SIAs including polio, measles, cholera, NNT etc
First University degree in medicine or public health or nursing .
Master’s degree in public health.
Professional experience and knowledge
At least one year experience in EPI programs.
Working experience with WHO or UN.
Essential: English – Somlai
Describe the core, management competencies required – See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences*
*4. Producing Results
Functional Knowledge and Skill
*Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
- Broad knowledge of EPI strategies and policies and interventions.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Proven ability to take initiatives and make recommendations.
Demonstrated ability to assess and analyse data.
How to apply
Your application should be sent to the below email address, please indicate the title of the position you have applied in the email subject by close of business Wednesday 22 March 2023. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.