P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
- Roles and responsibilities
The Field Coordinator is responsible for the management of the field office and activities within his/her area of operation. The following is a brief description of the role.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Manage support staff at the field office level
- Manage day to day HR & Admin, finance, logistics, and security tasks of the field office
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, procedures, and SOPs/guidelines
- Ensure adherence to Security and Risk Management policy and procedures
- Coordinate and assist with budgets and costs for the field office’s shared costs and support functions
- Provide support in the training and development of staff
- Provide support to project implementation at the field office level
- Coordinate representation meetings with the UN, partners, and authorities
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus, and type of program intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly. The line manager drafts the specific responsibilities and sends them to his/her line manager for approval.
- Represent the AM in important meetings, and forums at area of responsibility.
- Planning of program/project assessments, monitoring, and evaluations are developed and implemented
- Ensure Security and safety SoPs, and MoSS are adhered to and respected.
- Approve and monitor staff movements in accordance with NRC SS SoP
- Oversee support costs and ensure cost efficiency and value for money
- Ensure that effective asset and stock management is maintained in the field office
- Organize anti-corruption training for the field staff
- Coordinate staff capacity building sessions together with HR and Admin Coordinators
- Assist CCs coordinator/Managers in performance management of CCs officers in the field office
- Develop a good network and ensure close cooperation with the local administration at all levels, local communities, and target groups.
- Ensuring quality implementation of projects in close cooperation with the Area Manager and Project Managers.
- Ensuring that all NRC systems for program, administration and financial management are implemented and adhered to.
- Ensure that CCs officers play active role in clusters and coordination meetings at region level
- Performance management of staff reporting directly to the Field Coordinator is done regularly during the specified performance period.
- Establish a good working environment based on the NRC values.
- Ensuring optimal use of human resources, incl. promotion of teamwork and team spirit, securing adequate training of staff, and promotion of talented staff
- Report to the Area Manager, any violations of NRC’s Personnel policies and Code of Conduct
- Representing NRC in relevant forums in the region by making sure NRC is well-positioned.
- Coordinating NRC program activities with local and national authorities, United Nations agencies, and other national and international agencies/organizations
- Active participation in and promotion of coordinating bodies aimed at filling gaps and improving the assistance to the target group i.e. cluster coordination.
- Staying updated on all relevant political and policy issues related to the country and the region
- Identifying, initiating, and following up on advocacy issues and actively promoting the rights of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the area, in close coordination with the Area Manager and/or the Protection and Advocacy Adviser.
- Other responsibilities delegated by AM
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university degree graduate in law, social studies, development studies / other relevant field minimum of five years’ work experience with NGO, legal or international organisation.
Solid Knowledge of the South central in general and in the particular context in terms of political, security, economic, and clan dynamics. Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts in south central Somalia. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
What We Offer:
Contract period: 1year, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Dhusamareeb
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.