Position Title: Finance and Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 26 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO), the Finance and Reporting Officer will facilitate
Financial Monitoring and Financial Reporting tasks for all projects implemented by IOM Somalia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with Resources Management Officer (RMO), monitor the financial management for all activities in Somalia including the financial expenditure and accountability.
- Initiate and undertake financial analysis and file reports of all activities for the projects. Draft donor financial reports and assist in ensuring that all commitments are cleared from the project.
- Assist in financial forecasting during project implementation phases and ensure all commitments of the project are actively monitored.
- Contribute to the establishment of a project-level budget monitoring and reporting system, monitor budget expenditures, and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions. Check accuracy of supporting documents.
- Respond to queries as appropriate with respect to financial aspects of the projects, liaise with external auditors wherever required.
- Undertake quality control checks on monthly accounts, ensure that all open items including bank reconciliations are cleared in a timely manner and review other financial matters with banks and vendors.
- Supervise and provide eligibility costs guidance to relevant Finance and Admin Assistants working under the project with recommendations and follow-up for changes in internal control system.
- Maintain the financial reporting system to ensure timely provision of information to relevant units within the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in close coordination with Head of Resources Management.
- Review payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Liaise with relevant units at Head Quarter and Regional Office Nairobi with regards to the budgetary and financial activities of the Country Office.
- Ensure that all administrative and budget related programme activities and procedures are followed.
- Assist the Head of Resources Management in facilitation of internal and external/projects audits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Administration, Economics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Professional experience in financial management;
- Experience in accounting and budgeting;
- Experience with SAP is highly desirable.
- Ability to prepare concise and clear reports;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN regulations, policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 March 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 34 Finance and Reporting Officer (P2) Mogadishu, Somalia (57965244) Released
Posting: Posting NC57965245 (57965245) Released