The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
Supports the preparation of financial statements and maintenance of cash controls. Works within the financial procedures of DRC, municipal policies, and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation.The Finance Assistant supports the Finance Officer with reports for senior management in Area and CO offices.
- Support the Finance Team Leader to Ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all departments.
- Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater small time expenditures as per the Finance procedures.
- Prepare petty cash replenishment and update cash counts on weekly basis.
- Record cash from HQ in general and project expenses journals.
- Follow up with the bank on receipt and attached supporting docs.
- Processing payment and ensure all cheque and receipts are kept.
- Prepare cash request from Galkacyo and shared with Finance Officer.
- Conduct daily cash counts for office and submit the cash count sheets to AM
- Prepare monthly cash counts for office on last working day of the month and submit to Finance office/Area Finance Officer.
- Support the Finance Officer to update commitment cost to be recorded properly
- Prepare project Journals as per the Finance calendar.
- Post cost POs through Dynamics to reconcile payments.
- Record partner financial documents in project expenses journals and share Finance Officer for review.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
- Support the Finance Officer in liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
- Process all payments with full supporting documents
- financial risks by ensuring that DRC financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Minimize Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Country Finance Coordinators.
- Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Coordinator.
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process Director/HoFA/RO and HQ.
- the responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Diploma in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration. (Technical College (Govt. approved) Excellent communication skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- A minimum of 3 years of similar experience with international organizations is requirement.
- Background in Accounting, Finance/Administration and any relevant field similar.
- Strong proficiency in English and fluent in written and spoken English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 7 Month
Band: This position is graded as Band I2-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Galkacyo
Start date: 25TH May 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 25th April 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.