Finance Assistant :
Closure Date : 08/Mar/2023, 2:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FRSOM
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Somalia-Mogadiscio
Duration: 3 Months – Renewable
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentialit
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to four hundred staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of the National Finance Officer.
The incumbent will provide administrative, financial, and accounting support activities for the FAO Somalia Office Finance team and Cash Based Intervention Unit:
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist in processing a wide range of payment authorizations (disbursement authorization), verifying accuracy, monitoring the payments and reconciliation of data for the day-to-day transactions and reports.
• Support in the analysis of data from a wide variety of sources including FAO`s Cash Based Intervention (CBI); verify the accuracy of data and counter check calculations.
• In close collaboration with the Finance Officer, assist in biometric verification of beneficiaries through Mobile Money Operators; provide regular update on verification status and answer queries, as required.
• Ensure prompt provision of financial data to Operations unit/project staff and supervisor(s) for budget estimates and financial planning; keep detailed records for obligations.
• Assist in processing of reimbursements to money vendors and liquidation of mobile payment invoices in full compliance with MS 702 and other laid down procedures.
• Conduct reconciliation of the various records on amounts disbursed by the MNOs and amount received by the beneficiaries.
• Maintain a filing system of administrative and financial documents.
• Types a variety of material in draft or final form including correspondence, reports, meeting papers faxes, statistical tables or tabular material and proof of reads for correctness and formatting documents.
• Perform other duties as needed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree/technical Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business management or similar
• Three years’ of progressively responsible professional experience in finance and accounting or related area is required.
• Working knowledge of English and Somalia Languages
• National of Somalia
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Analytical ability, accuracy, and consistency
• Experience in supporting Cash- Based interventions is an added advantage.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT