P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the Consortium Finance Coordinator is to be responsible that the financial set up is according to NRC standard and to support programme/project implementation.
The following is a brief description of the role.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Implement NRC’s systems and procedures.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines, and donor requirements.
- Prepare, consolidate, and submit the reports.
- Ensure proper filing of all support documents.
- Support line managers in procedures and require support team training.
- Management of Finance Team
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Coordinate the financial aspects of the multi-state, multi-year, multi-partner programs in line with BRCiS donor requirements.
- Ensure all financial and accounting aspects of project operations, strong internal control system, accurate and on time receipt, & financial report from Members.
- Consolidate financial reports, fund requests, forecasts, and budgets, and budgets amendments in a timely fashion throughout the life of the BRCiS consortium projects.
- Review and monitor budgets for the BRCiS consortium projects to support financial stability, efficiency, and value for money with support of FAM as required.
- Ensure that all procurements, payments, and other transactions for the CMU are in line with both the NRC’s and donors’ financial guidelines, rules, and regulations for procurement, accounting, and reporting.
- Co-Facilitates with FAM a refresher training for Donor regulation to the consortium members and procurement procedures.
- Review partner’s financial report and make sure their expenses and reporting format comply with BRCiS donor requirements.
- Work with members on monthly budget monitoring to ensure effective project implementation and bring it to the attention of management as needed.
- Organize for peer reviews amongst the finance personnel of the BRCiS consortium projects partner agencies and draw lessons learnt to improve financial oversight.
- Co-Facilitate training sessions on grants management, general accounting, internal controls and administrative systems for the BRCiS projects partner agencies with
- Take part the periodic field visits in order to support the consortium members and put forward recommendations for improvements where appropriate.
- Contribute in the development of SoPs for the CMU and improvement thereof.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
• Minimum 4 years of experience from working as senior finance personnel in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile and Presentation skills
• Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Knowledge of the context of Somalia
- Coordination/negotiation skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among other partner organizations is required.
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar operations.
- Experience of consortium project audits handling.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts, multi-country disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programming.
- Experience in working on projects funded by major international donors, with preference for previous experience with FCDO, EU, WB USAID and QFFD. Strongly required EU experience of EU Regulations
- Experience The use of multiple currencies and volatility of foreign exchange rates is required.
- Experience with developing and managing large budgets.
- Solid Experience with consortium management is required.
- Experience in resource mobilization and working with various donors and conversant with their technical frameworks and strategies is required.
- Safety and security awareness training
What We Offer:
Contract period: 1year, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Mogadishu
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.