About the job
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Coordinator will ensure that all financial functions in the DRC Somalia Country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance are adhered effectively and in a timely manner. The Finance Coordinator ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC internal policies and procedures and provides support to the program management teams as require
Accounting / Finance
- Oversee and manage daily accounting and finance functions including the timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, receivables, payables, and timely submission through DRC Dynamics to HQ.
- Review unsettled transactions in DRC Dynamics on a monthly basis and advise area offices and country finance staff on the best way to manage the outstanding transactions.
- Maintain banking relations and plan/monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC programs.
- With the support of Country finance staff monitor regularly the cash floats in area offices and ensure adequate cash is in hand to support the program requirements.
- Plan and maintain oversight of co-funding requirements and share overview with Finance Manager and HOSS on quarterly basis.
- Ensure co-funding lines are set up in DRC Dynamics as required. Follow up with the area offices in spending of Co-funding lines.
- Coordinate with country Finance staff to organize & submit Finance supporting documents (Scanned and hard copies) in relevant archives (One drive/Share point etc.,) according to DRC Somalia/RO/HQ requirements.
- Coordinate with Finance/HR staff to ensure timely payment of staff salaries.
- Train Finance Staff on DRC Dynamics finance functionalities.
- Support the role out of DRC Dynamics functionalities, identify gaps in area offices and prepare training plan for area finance staff
- Prepare donor financial reports for RO/HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors, ensuring quality of the reports.
- Provide monthly management reports which will include expenditures by project, sub grantee or Partners’ reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner and any other report as requested by DRC Country Director,Head of Support Services,Finance Manager, Regional Office, HQ etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Updating of API’s for Somalia on monthly/quarterly basis.
- Provide inputs for Results Contracts.
- Support & supervises, audits (in-country, external), coordinate with area offices/RO/HQ to compile documents required by the auditors. If required coordinate with the auditors (based on request of the RO Compliant Specialist) on audit process.
- With support of Country Finance staff, assess needs and identify issues/gaps in Area Finance office/staff and prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular financial issues.
- Develop technical skills of finance staff through on-job technical advice/trainings on Budgeting, Reporting and other finance duties
- With support of Country Finance Specialists, perform regular internal Financial Reviews (As per DRC Operations Handbook) and reviews as required to ensure compliance with DRC and donor requirements. Audits to be conducted on quarterly basis for all area/field offices and reports submitted to Finance Manager
- Monitor systems for financial operations in both the main programme offices and in field offices in accordance with the DRC Operations handbook, Field Finance Manual and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting & financial record-keeping.
- Provide Technical support to Area Finance Team and Program staff as and when required.
- Ensure Procurement policies/guidelines are followed in Finance routine work including payments documentation
- Follow up on new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/HOSS/Finance Manager/Regional Office and HQ.
- Support Finance Manager to identify the gaps in Finance policies to Develop local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
Local Tax Management
- Coordinate with Country/Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
Experience,Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least five year’s work experience in the field of finance/accounting/ in an NGO or the commercial sector
- NGO or UN experience is preferred
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
- Experience in preparation of Donor budget and reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct trainings.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables
Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length:12 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and fund
Band: This position is graded as Band G-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Mogadishu
Start date: February 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 23 January 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.