The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug, Galgadud and Bay regions), Nugal and Benadir regions implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Finance officer, the Finance intern will assist in day-to-day activities payment processing, filling documents, collecting, and receiving invoices.
- Assisting with all aspects of day-to-day operations of accounting department in field office.
- Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures, and systems.
- Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
- Assisting in processing of payments in Finance dept by writing cheques, facilitating approvals.
- Maintain petty cash and raise payment as per the need.
- Assisting the Finance Officer in Copying Finance documents.
- Assist Cloud filling and labelling.
- Assist collecting deposit and withdrawals from the bank.
- Stamping ‘Receive’ once the payment comes to the Finance Office and ‘paid’ on all documents once cash vouchers and cheques are signed and cash and cheques disbursed and before filing.
- Maintain an organized and well documented (all files must be labeled properly and visibly) and sequential filing system for all disbursement vouchers.
- Assist in the retrieval and putting back documentation for audit purposes. Accounting
- Assist in compiling accruals for closing grants and preparing journals Compilation of commitments for input in Integra system.
- Be receptive to the training IRC will give to develop your technical and professional competence.
- Be adaptable and flexible with a view to taking on board new tasks and new assignments in due course.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- time management, and ability to contribute and collaborate in a team setting.
- Diploma (Accounting, finance, Business administrator, Economics) or equivalent.
- Knowledge in Excel.
How to apply
Apply the following link:
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.