REPORTS TO; Country Finance Manager
DIRECT REPORTS; Finance Assistants and other related roles.
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work.
We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to have Girls Standing Strong for Global Change.
Plan international has opened an office in Somaliland and started programmes that focus on child protection, education and youth economic empowerment programming both humanitarian and development setting, working with/through partners and providing technical support to INGOs, Somaliland NGOs and the Government of Somaliland in Plan’s areas of expertise.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for coordinating with CFM to ensure timely and accurate accounting, internal and external reporting and compliance with internal Plan and external donor policies and requirements. This role will allow Plan Somalia/Somaliland to provide greater levels of support for partner organizations through strengthening their capacities to comply with Plan and donor regulations and procedures in relation to finance and Grants.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans (15%).
• Prepare project annual budget as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
• Prepare monthly project BvA (Budget variance Analysis) report and discuss variances and corrective action with project team.
• Prepare quarterly projects KP06 budget.
Prepare Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision-making (15%).
• Initiate country’s financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
• Prepare a monthly budget vs Actual spending for project.
• Prepare the monthly Partners unliquidated advances report.
• Support the Finance Manager in the preparation of the quarterly and year-end financial schedules.
• Carryout monthly support visit to the project partners and submit report.
• Carry out identified capacity building trainings for partners.
• Follow up staff advances to ensure prompt liquidation and submit monthly report to CO.
Support the Field Office Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting to ensure the availability of funds for country operations (20%).
• Prepare and submit the monthly Cash forecast.
• Support the Finance Manager – To ensure that monthly cash forecasts are timely submitted.
• Prepare and submit quarterly cash forecasts to donor as may be required.
• Ensure that the cash and bank accounts balances are never in negative.
• Follow up bank account issues in a timely manner.
• Prepare the monthly bank reconciliation statement and submit for approval.
Manage the operations of the SAP system to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements (25%).
• Undertake accuracy checks to ensure all transactions entered in SAP are correct.
• Regularly review NRGRANT status to ensure grant related expenditures are charged on applicable grant.
• Ensure correct use of WBS (work breakdown structure) for all requisitions, purchase orders and journals.
• Ensure that invoices are posted only when good receipt note have been entered by Procurement dept., to avoid GR/IR (Good receipt/Invoice receipt) related issues
• Advice CO on all field level intercompany recharges.
• Maintain separate real time filing for the assigned project related SAP payment vouchers and reports.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times (25%).
• Ensure payments made are as per Plan’s approved policies, procedures, and that of the donor rules and regulations.
• Review the finance sections of purchase requisitions, advance requests, liquidations, and purchase orders for financial conformity with respect to Plan and assigned approved policies.
• Support the review of projects online payments/cheques issued before signing off by Plan Authorised Managers.
• Prepare project financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
• Ensure all expected costs are timely and accurately recovered from the project.
• Support the accurate and timely payment of statutory deductions.
• Ensure all withholding taxes are remitted as per statutory time lines and receipts collected.
• Provide training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity and team building.
• Keep Supervisor informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
• Fulfil Plan’s Child Safeguarding Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by your Supervisor from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent is required;
• At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role;
• Fair knowledge in grants and project management.
• Knowledge and use of accounting software (Preferably SAP)
• Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
• Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
• Experience working with sub-grantees required.
• Knowledge of using SAP or D365 Microsoft Dynamics
• Excellent communication, problem solving and record keeping skills
• Strong analytical and financial interpretation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Committed, honest and transparent
• High degree of confidentiality and integrity
• Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe.
This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Disclaimer: Plan International is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate applicants on any basis. We also do not charge Job seekers any fees at any point of the recruitment process.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.