P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated Finance function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure accurate maintenance of all NRC financial and accounting files and transactions.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the finance function
- Oversee all financial requests made by the projects and ensure that NRC’s external financial obligations are met.
- Train budget holders, finance and support staff on budget preparation, budget monitoring.
- Work with the area finance coordinator and budget holders and ensure accurate reliable master budget in place and updated.
- Share salary allocations to Finance coordinator and ensure muster budget in place and updated.
- Attend bid meetings where delegated.
- Work with budget holders and various support staff to prepare quality budgets
- Review monthly project re-booking and ensure that they are minimized.
- Responsible for Jubbaland payments and signatory changes of all Jubaland bank accounts when the Finance officer is on leave.
- Ensure that all payments are processed on time
- Post all jubbaland payments and ensure that correct coding of expenditure on all payment Vouchers, Purchase Orders and Purchase Requests is done.
- Share summary budget Vs Actual for the entire program with Finance coordinator upon request and at least once a month.
- Perform any other duties as and when required
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university degree graduate in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting certified Public Accountant minimum of 3 years’ work experience and understanding in humanitarian INGO context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
What We Offer:
Contract period: Until December 2023 with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.