Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
The Country Office in Somalia/Somaliland is currently recruiting a:
Fulltime / 40 hours a week
Contract length: 1 Year with possibility of extension
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequency travel to the field
To mobilize resources for the implementation of Oxfam’s Country Strategy and increase the impact of Oxfam’s work on the lives of men and women facing poverty and injustice. The role will contribute to development and maintenance of excellent relations with institutional and non-institutional donors and ensure the quality of Oxfam’s programs in Somalia/Somaliland.
The FC will contribute towards the development and implementation of resource mobilization strategies to establish strategic partnerships with institutional donors, partners and other key stakeholders to identify and develop new funding opportunities for the Country Programme. The FC will support the relevant teams by planning, coordinating, securing and management of restricted and unrestricted funds, leading on proposal development that reflect Oxfam’s priorities and its value-add; developing and maintaining good relationships with donors in Somalia/Somaliland and Oxfam affiliates; ensuring strong contract management and overall donor compliance including efficient delivery of reporting requirements.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the Business Development & Funding Manager (BD&FM) in the delivery of the country funding strategy in line with the Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS).
- Identify, assess, prioritize and approach donors, funding sources or Oxfam affiliates following agreed guidelines and processes and represent Oxfam as required with donors.
- Support in the BD&FM in research and donor intelligence to identify new funding prospects and analyse donor trends to feed into proactive engagement with donors and meet targets set out in the country funding strategy
- Establish and maintain up-to-date country funding strategies and plans taking into consideration the country specific funding landscape in Somalia including donor mappings and donor engagement plans
- Coordinate donor visits and coordinate responses to any reasonable requests from funding affiliates and governing bodies.
- Develop materials showcasing Oxfam’s work in Somalia that feeds into track record building.
- Coordination and information sharing/management, ensure that funding files, both electronic and paper, are complete and kept up to date.
- Collaborate with the BD&FM in facilitating the agreed upon Oxfam Bid/No-bid process in line with Oxfam’s institutional funding guidelines and relevant tools
- Proposal Development
- Lead or support the coordination, development and submission of high-quality concept notes and proposals to successfully secure institutional donor funds; this includes coordinating with Oxfam’s local partners to develop concept notes/proposals for joint submission, or submission on behalf of partners.
- Work effectively and coordinate with colleagues in other functions, partner organisations, and effectively link with the Oxfam confederation funding architecture in affiliates, OI Secretariat and HECA regional platform to develop joint funding proposals.
- Grants and Contract management
- Ensure oversight and support over grants quality and compliance of ongoing restricted contracts/projects by offering consistent and timely technical advice to Oxfam staff and partners on the requirements of different donors,
- Ensure the timely submission and high quality of donor reports, seeking the advice and input from affiliate HQ (donor leads) where relevant
- Support in providing strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting, and implementation and monitoring of the OCS related to institutional donor compliance/requirements
- Ensure sign-off on donor proposals, reports and contracts in line with Oxfam procedures and guidelines.
- Support the development of program and project implementation plans, to ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects and program
- Ensure programme and project quality by organizing drawing lessons for programme implementation, organize knowledge management and programme learning, fostering exchange and introducing innovation.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Proven background and more than 5 years of experience in programme / project development in the in the field of humanitarian responses, development programmes and lobby and advocacy.
- Bachelor degree of social science or any other related program is required
- Solid track record of experience of planning for, securing and managing funds from institutional donors, such as the EU/ ECHO, SIDA, Dutch Government, GFFO, SDC, DFAT, GAC, and UN; experience of doing so in the Somali INGO context is desirable.
- Experience in developing/writing high quality winning proposals and reports.
- Ability to represent Oxfam to donors and other external institutions.
- Sound understanding of Program Cycle Management
- Highly developed influencing skills; strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others in diverse team situations to achieve fundraising targets.
- Ability to manage time effectively and adapt priorities to respond to changing demands and tight deadlines.
- High level of numeracy, budgeting, financial anlaysis and IT skills.
- Proficiency in written and oral English.
- Understanding of fundraising and contract management systems and procedures of major donors/INGOs.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in Somalia/Somaliland
Please apply for the position by clicking the Apply button. Application Deadline on 7 December 2022. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and assessments might be carried out before the Deadline and the internal candidates will be first priorities.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.