DRC has been operating in Somalia since 1998 using a protection of human rights framework. Somalia is experiencing a devastating humanitarian crisis, with nearly 80% of the population in need of some form of humanitarian assistance. DRC in Somalia is scaling up the operation in emergency response through an integrated approach accessing hard to reach populations.
Overall purpose of the role
The overall objective of the HoOp is to ensure the accountability of DRC’s programme towards the humanitarian needs in Somalia and the donors supporting the response. The HoOp ensures that DRC’s projects bring a significant contribution to meeting immediate humanitarian needs during the emergency and other early recovery programming, aiming to secure productive and just communities. The HoOp is a key senior position in the DRC country set up, responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, sound design of and overseeing assessments and ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing projects, and is incorporated into consistently high quality grant proposals and reports. The post holder is part of the senior management team (SMT) and supports the Country Director in representing the country operations to government, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
Operations Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Effectively manage the Area Managers and Commercial Contract Coordinator with an emphasis on excellence, promoting a culture of cooperation, learning, creativity and innovation.
- Ongoing development of team composition and structure to ensure that is fit for purpose, develop Job descriptions, follow up field staff related recruitment processes and orientation of staff. Proactively seek to increase the numbers of national staff members in the field team and nationalisation of posts.
- Development of overall staff competence through leadership, training and coaching of technical and management key field staff
- Provide technical oversight to AM reporting responsibilities.
- Participate in country level strategic planning and contribute to the sustainable management of program growth with a continual eye to new program development that addresses displacements and meets the needs of beneficiaries
- In collaboration with DRC Head of Programme (HoP) lead the Somalia annual programme portfolio analyses
- Foster synergies between program areas (integrated approach), support the strong integration of protection and gender throughout all humanitarian initiatives and ensure adherence to Sphere standards or any other international standards when relevant
- Facilitate assessment and rapid response in any humanitarian situation, with written report and recommendation to initiate and setup relevant emergency projects if a response is decided on
- Playing a key role in fundraising and donor contract management.
Operations Implementation & Coordination
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership to all aspects of programme development and implementation in Somalia, including ensuring timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into programme implementation
- Ensure effective and transparent budget follow up, planning and use of financial resources in compliance with DRC and donor policies and priorities and ensure use od program managent tools and real time BFU.
- Develop a close and productive working relationship with Area Offices and the technical team in coordination with the HoP to ensure that all aspects of programs are implemented to maximum affect and compliant with DRC and donor regulations.
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- In collaboration with HoP, ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC’s country strategic plan
- Adopt an evidence-based approach that see the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices within DRC country and Regional teams, to donors and to other stakeholders when relevant in order to ensure synergetic programming and cross-program collaboration in Somalia and in the whole EAGL region
Donor liaison, Partnerships and Representation
- As required represent DRC’s Somlaia programme to funders and potential donors
- Cultivate key relationships that enhance DRC’s visibility, credibility in Somalia with key government and other stakeholders
- Frequent travel for direct support to field sites, representation and identification of opportunities for organizational growth in the competence areas and coverage.
- Identify local NGOs/partners
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 8 years of progressively responsible experience in program management, leadership and design in countries of conflict or post-conflict,
- Master’s degree in International Development and/or Humanitarian Assistance, Project Management or any other related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience in managing complex emergency operations, including 2 years at country senior management level
- Demonstrated experience and skill in proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with National Governments, International and National NGO partners and a variety of working with and coordinating with a variety of donors and consortia including BHA, UNHCR, ECHO and OCHA.
- Preferably previous successful experience with DRC.
- Proven experience in managing integrated programs as well as capacity building.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required;
- Somali language skills preferred.
Contract: 12 Months with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment; Employment band Management E
Availability: 1st April 2023
Duty station: This position is based in Galkayo, with frequent travel to all locations in Somalia.
Reporting Line: Country Director
Direct Reports: Area Managers, Commercial Contract Coordinator
Providing equal opportunities, we are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards: DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
Application and CV
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 23rd February 2023.