Humanitarian & Seasonal(H&S) Coordinator
ISLAMIC RELIEF SOMALIA: JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: HUMANITARIAN & SEASONAL(H&S) COORDINATOR
BASE LOCATION: Mogadishu (with 30% Puntland; 30 % Somaliland and 40% SCZ)
Closing Date: 6th December 2022
REPORT TO: Country DIRECTOR
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Emergency Officers, Assistants.
MATRIX MANAGES: Project officers, Field Emergency team.
Job Purpose: The overall objective of this position is to ensure that Humanitarian emergency preparedness, response and recovery plans for IRW-SOM are in place and kept updated as per the objectives of the Country Strategic Plan; Disaster Preparedness Plans and that emergency response activities are implemented in line with the overall country Programme. The position also manages/oversees the implementation of all emergency response projects. The role will ensure that all Humanitarian components of IRW-SOM is managed timely and delivered within set objectives and demands. The position also lead, manages and handle seasonal programmes which include planning, management, and implementation of Ramadhan, Qurbani, Aqeeqa and all emergency projects
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Budget Responsibilities: As delegated by CD
Role Dimensions: Liaises With: Food and Livelihood Security Specialist, Partnership Coordinator, M&E officer, Operation Manager, Finance and staff from other support units, Programmes Managers WASH and Infrastructure Coordinator, HR, Procurement and Logs among others.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Assist the CD in the overall management, implementation and development of the emergency preparedness and response component of the Somalia country Programme
- Ensure effective management of IRW SOM emergency response Programme and associated budgets
- Ensure that the emergency response programmes are appropriately linked where possible to IRW-SOM, other resilience and longer-term development programmes
- Develop/review country Disaster Preparedness and Response plan
- Develop country DRR/Emergency strategy
- Focal person for innovative Humanitarian approaches and intervention
- Focal lead for all disaster responses (planning, communication, design and evaluation)
- Develop or review templates such as assessment form, Real Time evaluation and other emergency documents
- Manages through planning, implementation and report development for all seasonal projects
- Focal led in the development of monthly Humanitarian bulletin
Emergency preparedness, response and recovery planning and Programme implementation
- Ensure emergency project and seasonal program proposals are developed on time and in the correct format for all donors in liaison with partnership coordinator.
- Develop plans for emergency response within the SOM context ensuring linkages with
IRW’s other resilience and development programmes.
- Monitor potential emergencies/ humanitarian needs and advise CD on appropriate responses.
- In conjunction with other coordinators/Managers, implement capacity building plans for IRW-SOM Emergency Response Team.
- Regularly update IRW-SOM Preparedness for Effective Emergency Response (PEER) plan
- Monitor the early warning information being gathered from IRW as well as that of UN agencies, government and other INGOs.
- Share weekly/ or other emergency information on any alerts with the CD and other Coordinators.
- Keep up to date with any changes in or updates to national assessment results, appeals and guidelines, and communicate these to relevant staff.
- Coordinate and lead rapid needs assessments in areas affected by hazards or disasters or where early warning information suggests a need for early action.
- Ensure that emergency response programmes are implemented in line with National, international and Cluster quality standards.
- Ensure relevant cross-cutting issues are mainstreamed in all emergency response.
- Promote knowledge sharing within the country Programme with particular attention to relief, recovery and humanitarian accountability issues.
- Ensure emergency projects/program staff are kept up to date on best practices in the fields of emergency preparedness and response.
- Support the resilience Programme with training and support to the community-based Disaster Management Committees and link emergency response interventions with them wherever possible.
- Responsible for timely planning and management of all seasonal projects such as Ramadhan, AQEEQA, ADAK, Qurbani from planning to implementation and reporting
- Take part in review and analysis of Emergency projects as requested by CD on behalf of START FUND, DEC for members proposal appraisals and award.
- Establish knowledge database for all emergency work and responses per region as part of data management
- Manage expenditure of approved emergency budgets ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Keep the CD, FM of any variances that may need to be communicated to the donors, in good time.
- In collaboration with the finance team and the Partnership Coordinator, develop emergency project budgets.
- Assist direct reports with financial management.
- Report any unsuspected or actual financial irregularities that have occurred during the emergency programing.
- Ensure all projects have detailed procurement plans.
- Develop surge capacity roster and share with CD and HR unit for timely deployment
- Ensure staff complies with the IRW-SOM various policies such as Protection Policy and Code of Conduct
- Capacity building/training responsibilities for direct reports
- Prepare staffing needs in line with programming and assist in the recruitment of staff
- Ensure donor reports are produced on time and to a high standard.
- Provide brief updates (bi-weekly or weekly) to the CD and members of the CMT/SMT.
- Submit monthly reports to the Communication and M&E by the deadline for compilation.
- Provide to CD with timely responses to queries on concept notes, proposals and reports on emergencies.
- Report any new developments, problems and challenges encountered in implementing emergency response projects in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and work with the senior Communication officer and produce Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin.
- Coordinate with Communication officers and produce annual program report
- Develop weekly emergency update and share with CD and Humanitarian Manager in the regional office.
Networking and coordination
- Ensure proper representation of IRW-SOM Programme at Cluster and other emergency preparedness and response related meetings, especially those relating to emergencies responses and design.
- Ensure good collaboration and working relationship with government and other relevant partners.
- Create appropriate links, working procedures and information sharing with the stakeholders – UN agencies, INGOs, NNGOs and government bodies at regional and district level regarding response plans, agreements, reports, training etc..
Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability
- Work closely with MEAL coordinator
- Conduct frequent supervision and monitoring visits to project areas and identify any issues needing attention related to implementation, donor compliance and Programme quality standards of all emergency response intervention.
- Take responsibility for the implementation of learning and recommendations from external or internal reviews and donor feedback.
- Take responsibility for development of detailed costed work plans at the start of each project and then ensure monthly updates are made to the output databases.
- Plan for and lead all assessment, Real Time Evaluation
- Working with the M&E unit and the ACs, plan for baseline and end line surveys and external evaluations.
- Ensure that beneficiaries have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Must have a ‘hands on’, practical mentality, be self-driven and very motivated.
- Must be well organized.
- Able to take initiative and work independently.
- Very high attention to detail.
- Cultural and political sensitivity.
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt to a fluid situation.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and good command of English.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Master degree in DRR, Public Health, Development, Humanitarian Response or a related subject such as Shelter, WASH, Nutrition, Engineering.
- Bachelor degree in DRR, Public Health, Development, Humanitarian Response or a related subject such as Shelter, WASH, Nutrition, Engineering with 7years of working experience can be considered in lieu of Master degree
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 8-9 years professional experience with a humanitarian agency and in complex emergencies
- Good managerial and leadership skills, ability to work effectively with people
- Experience of designing, carrying out, analyzing and reporting on multisectoral emergency assessments.
- Experience managing complex emergency response programmes through both direct implementation and through local partner organizations.
- Experience of incorporating key cross-cutting approaches (especially equality, protection and DNH, Environment) into humanitarian programs.
- Experience of managing people and projects through remote management.
- Able to provide training on and implement Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE and CHS standards.
- Excellent knowledge on mobile phone use in survey design, data collection and reporting
- Excellent working knowledge with donors such as START, WFP, UNICEF, DFID,
- Experience and skills working with RRF and FFP (both in design and implementation)
- Experience of working in Somalia/Somaliland
- Knowledge of local language
- Knowledge of working with donors operational in Somalia
- Knowledge of minimum humanitarian standards and other National and international guidelines
Equal Opportunities : YES
Child Safeguarding: The position interacts with children and hence requires utmost compliance when dealing with children
Safeguarding and protection of staff: YES
Disaster/Emergency response: 100%
How to apply
Each application should be addressed to the HR account: email@example.com -An updated CV and application letter
- Copy of your Somali National ID card or passport.
- Contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as Humanitarian & Seasonal Coordinator- Mogadishu