Position: ICT Assistant (SC5)
Job Posting: 23/Dec/2022
Closure Date: 06/Jan/2023, 2:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FRSOM
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations-Various Locations
Duration: 12 Months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, direct supervision of the Head of IT, the Position’s primary focus is on the areas of IT support and local IT operations, user and desktop support (hardware and software), and helpdesk.
The incumbent will performs a variety of information technology support duties to ensure smooth delivery of the corporate IT services. He/She will monitor, operate, or coordinate and assist others in the IT support Unit, in particular with FAO Service Desk in order to achieve desired results.The incumbent is accountable for the IT support and participate in operation at the level of the country office. She/he is responsible to understand the corporate setup, rules, regulations and policy and fulfill all the needed competences, skills and certifications needed.
In particular, The IT Assistant will provide support in the following areas:
Tasks and Responsibilities
- User support
- Assist in the presentation of display materials and Video Conferencing events;
- Provide orientation to New Users on the IT rules and regulations, in particular related to equipment, printers, scanners, and IT security matters;
- Provide instructions to users on existing technology and potential use (One drive for Business, Team-works, MSOffice, Intranet, Skype for Business, etc.);
- Provide instruction to users on guidelines, policies, and standards.
- Receive, log and monitor requests related to IT matter, in the Service Desk LANDesk system, resolve IT-related issues pertaining to FAO standard equipment, escalate those issues that cannot be solved to the IT Group of the Regional Office, monitor progress and resolution.
- Provide support to missions from Regional Office, HQs, or internal missions within the Decentralized Office.
- Network and connectivity
- Assist to develop an adaptable and effective office network infrastructure (LAN and WAN) and the respective office connectivity contract;
- Maintain the office technology maps up to date, the architecture and technical specification of the network infrastructure (LAN and WAN);
- Ensure security of the network by following security policies and report problems when they are detected.
- IT Equipment
- Keep track of IT assets and maintain the local office IT inventory list up-to-date;
- Monitor IT equipment expiry dates on a monthly basis and take upgrading/replacing measures in time;
- In case of equipment to be granted to external organizations, follow the MS502 procedures and inform the ISD accordingly;
- Assist to assign new equipment and update the IT equipment inventory list on the regional assets record on regular basis.
- Corporate and non-corporate software
- Ensure that all the official equipment (desktop and laptop) in the office are up to date in terms of the corporate policy and requirements;
- Inform users that all the non-official equipment cannot connect to the corporate network or using corporate services, except Wi-Fi public internet connectivity;
- For all non-corporate software follow the clearance process and ensure that no non-corporate software is installed in FAO equipment without official clearance;
- Ensure security and privacy of user identity (user credentials) and data managed by the user, following the relevant corporate policies.
- Support the corporate IT Services according to the current policies and regulations, ensuring the timely provision of the Post Incident Report (PIR) to the regional ISD;
- Troubleshoot requests related to IT hardware, software and services issues, reporting and recording accordingly in the corporate Service Management system;
- Fulfill requests the SLAs, and when this is not possible to escalate the issue to the regional ISD;
- Manage all troubleshooting through helpdesk, prepare proper logs and keep records of completed tasks on the helpdesk ticketing tracking system.
- Planning and proactive work
- Support regional ISD providing all the needed assistance in terms of the ABC categories timely (IT Management and Support matters);
- Identify the future needs in the office in terms of equipment, connectivity and moves, timely informing the ISD;
- Perform a simulation of the Disaster and Incident recovery plan, reporting to the regional ISD about the planning, execution, lesson learnt and proposed improvements;
- Be aware of all the IT Division policies and ensure to follow them accordingly.
- Reporting to IT Manager
- Weekly report on all IT services, Internet, emails, laptop/desktop systems;
- Weekly report on UPS backup time and maintenance log update;
- Weekly report on troubleshooting, errors and solutions;
- Weekly report on network/ Network printer troubleshooting;
- Weekly report on physical condition of IT equipment providing timely reports to the regional ISD for IT record.
- Other tasks
- Provide IT assistance to staff and visitors for organizational related issues;
- Perform any other duty assigned by the regional ISD related with the IT Services;
- Stay committed and ready to take-up any assignment given by supervisor and senior management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience in ICT administration, corporate networks, internet connectivity, data security, and maintaining hardware and software Support services.
- Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
- National of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Networking and IT Equipment support experience;
- Prior work experience gained in a Service Desk client orientated environment;
- Experience in MS O365 platform support;
- Hands on experience in Microsoft O365, systems installation and configuration;
- Strong understanding of desktop and laptop hardware set-up and configuration;
- Good communication skills;
- Team work;
- Knowledge of UN system policies, rules, and regulations;
- Work experience within United Nations System or an international organization is an asset.
- Experience in data collection, processing, analysis, reporting and dissemination
- Good knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and viral protection systems.
- Proven skills in presentation and knowledge transfer Skills
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website atJobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT