The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
Provide technical support of the staff and be the main point of contact for IT related issues in the DRC office and field offices.
Responsibilities: : (in bullet points)
- Function as the main point of contact for IT-related issues remotely and on-site.
- Offer Office365 support and guidance to staff in the area office.
- Escalate Area Office365 and Dynamics login issues to HQ (email@example.com)
- Ensure all staff are connected to OneDrive for data backup and monitor its usage on a regular basis.
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and email usage, and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered.
- Perform General repairs for computers in the office.
- Ensure to implement preventive maintenance Q1-Q4 in Puntland as per the provided checklist by CO IT Coordinator and update the preventive maintenance tracker.
- Identify IT equipment gaps and share with finance and area manager for budgeting.
- Ensure to implement and install DRC standard image and configure joining Azure AD to all laptops in Puntland as per the guide provided by the Country IT Coordinator.
Digitalization and Training
- Train Area staff on DRC digital workspace (MS Teams, Yammer, SharePoint, Planner, and forms) twice a year as per the training guide provided by Country IT Coordinator.
- Provide cyber security training for area staff regularly.
- Ensure to upload training attendance sheet IT SharePoint.
- Manage the access, design layout, and improve constantly on area workspaces i.e. SharePoint site, Planner, Yammer and teams’ groups with Area Manager’s approval.
- Ensure to archive area staff handover data to the respective workspaces during the exit clearance.
- Ensure to immediately alert Country IT Coordinator whenever there’s an internet outage in the area office.
- Communicate with the ISP technical staff for troubleshooting and backups.
- Ensure the network of the office is done in the proper way and there is a strong signal available in every corner of the office. There should be no visible wires on the walls and the structure should look nice and covered.
- In coordination with IT Coordinator share network infrastructure upgrade budget to Area Manager and finance for budgeting.
- Monitor internet traffic and ensure group policies vs connected devices are updated on a daily basis to utilize DRC bandwidth properly.
- For better bandwidth utilization all social platforms and streaming sites must be blocked during working hours only.
- Follow up internet contract expiry period with Area Supply chain.
- Ensure strong network security by upgrading the Meraki appliance firewalls and firmware on a regular basis.
- Prepare monthly API and Internet Report through Meraki router and share with Country IT Coordinator.
- In coordination with the recruiting manager and HR, plan in advance to prepare a laptop before the new staff reports and ensure DRC image and other necessary DRC apps are installed.
- Ensure to provide extensive IT induction to new staff on IT Digital Vision, Policies, and SOPs.
- Once staff submits ID card details, ensure to print the ID card upon Country Director approval through the MS team’s approval system.
- Ensure to register new staff to the Biometric Attendance system.
- Accompany project staff and capture photos of project activities for all ongoing projects in the area.
- Caption and upload photos of project activities on SharePoint on a weekly basis
- Carry out video interviews of beneficiaries & loosely edit videos based on discussion and pre-agreement with the Country Comms Assistant
- Share loosely edited videos with DRC Somalia Country Communication Assistant
- Provide up to date content for DRC social media platforms based on discussion and pre-agreement with country comms assistant
- Design dynamic and engaging visuals, such as banners, flyers, brochures, and event materials for the Puntland Area Office.
- Share project activity photos & information in a timely fashion for immediate dissemination based on discussion with the Country Comms Assistant
- Support field office with other assigned communication activities that may come up.
- Ensure all employees adhere to DRC internet policy and understand these policies.
- When necessary conduct investigation on emails & internet usage by staff and report to AM.
- Make recommendations to procurement and staff in regards to IT equipment as per Country IT standardization.
- Closely work with area logistics to ensure you have the updated IT inventory list and can advise anytime required. Involve the disposing process and identify which item should be disposed of and for what reason.
- Document network and other IT issues and resolutions for future reference.
- As needed, install, configure, maintain and ensure secure operation of: Internet telecommunications; servers, desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals; Local Area Networks, Wireless Networks.
- Stay Current on all relevant and upcoming Technologies.
Experience,Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other related field from a recognized institution.
- More than 4 Years’ experience working in an IT support environment preferably in an INGO.
- Advanced level of Hardware/software troubleshooting experience.
- Advanced, Solid knowledge of network and communications technology, to include but, limited to, server operating systems including both windows and Linux based OS, network architecture, IP based networks (voice and data), Satellite communications, desktop solutions, email systems, etc.
- Quick in learning new systems
- Good graphic design and editing skills (Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro)
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent Communication skills, and fluent in spoken English and Somali.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali, English & Arabic Basic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 8 Month
Band: This position is graded as Band I2-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Galkacyo
Start date: 25TH May 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 25th April 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.