WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Position: IT Business Assistant Intern (2positions)
Location: Garowe – Somalia
Date of Issue: 1st December 2022
Closing Date: 18th December 2022
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Female Internship Programme
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates/students across the globe. The programme will provide selected candidates/students with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of WFP. This will promote better understanding of WFP Somalia’s mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP Somalia’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. You will be part of a dynamic team that effectively identifies, monitors, evaluates, and manages the organization’s strategic, operational, fiduciary and financial risks in support of WFP’s country strategic plan for Somalia.
This position is open to qualified Somali female nationals.
What will you do?
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Area Office in WFP Puntland, the intern will report to an assigned technical supervisor who will be coaching the Intern on daily basis.
- The intern(s) will be assigned to the fields of Information and communication Technology mainly Digital Assistance (Scope)
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge and build awareness of industry developments.
- Carry out system and equipment maintenance tasks to ensure they are running effectively.
- Receive and inspect all incoming assets for Cash-based Transfers (CBT) and report discrepancies to senior colleagues and partner units.
- Perform basic beta testing and support the rollout of new versions of centrally supported systems.
- Ensure information is up to date and accurate within inventories, databases, websites to support senior officers in running these systems.
- Respond to queries from users, understand and resolve issues, and ensure technology (TEC) policies, procedures, systems, and tools are accurately applied to support them
- Avail/upload SCOPE delivery and training documentation on WFP Team Workspace platform.
- Train Area Office staff, NGO partners and stakeholders as required.
- Perform other related duties as required
Do you meet the minimum requirements?
The Internship Programme is open to Somali female candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Completed an undergraduate or graduate degree programme (e.g., a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree) at a recognized university, in the area of Information Computer Technology, Computer Science/or other relevant field.
- Candidates must have completed at least the first degree in the last 12 months.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and Somali
Are you Competent for this Job? Do you have
- Desire to learn about and develop key skills in the field of ICT.
- Flexible work style and approach based on client needs.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Team player and problem solver.
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills; high attention to details.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized way.
- Technology savvy: ability to think out-of-the box and to come up with innovative ideas.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office package, particularly of Excel and PowerPoint.
Applicants are required to submit online applications through E-recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.