A. Brief introduction:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Somalia since 1964. As a service provider with worldwide operations in the fields of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ works with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. The goal of GIZ is to support the capacity development of people, organizations and institutional structures in the partner countries so as to enable them better their living conditions through their own efforts.
The Social and Economic Inclusion Project in Puntland, Somalia, with its focus on the economic and social integration of extremely poor Somali returnees, internally displaced persons (IDPs), and residents of host communities, builds on the graduation approach as its methodological framework. This is a sequential package of measures, consisting of social protection and the promotion of sustainable livelihoods for extremely poor households. To this end, the individual steps of the graduation approach include temporary consumer goods support, basic financial education, vocational training, seed capital, social network building and continuous coaching/mentoring of extremely poor households. To enable the Ministry of the Interior, Federal Affairs and Democratization to fulfill its mandate for the economic and social integration of IDPs, its technical capacity will be strengthened.
The project objective is: The personal, socio-economic resilience of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities is improved.
The central component of the graduation approach is the improved coverage of basic needs of
extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities(Output1). The focus is on basic security in the form of time-limited monthly unconditional cash transfers to selected households. The improvement of individual skills and empowerment required for this are part of Output 2, which aims at strengthening basic individual skills of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities for socio-economic integration. The objective of Output 3 is to strengthen individual capacities of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities, to enable them to generate their own income. Output 4 serves to strengthen the capacities of the “Department of Social Affairs” in the area of economic and social integration of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities. The measures of the four outputs reinforce each other complementarily in their effects and contribute in their entirety to a comprehensive strengthening of personal and socio-economic resilience.
SEIPP is seeking to recruit a JuniorTechnical Advisor who will support the implementation of the project as per the details below.
B. Responsibilities and duties
The SEIPP Junior Technical Advisor is responsible to
- Support the project implementation, monitoring, and evaluation at the field level.
- Support maintaining effective relations with local authorities, implementing partners,
and target communities in Puntland.
- Responsible for ensuring timely completion and submission of monthly field reports by the implementing partners on all aspects of the implementation and progress according to available reporting templates and monitoring and supporting the performance of activities in the field as per project operational plans and indicators.
- Oganize and schedule technical meetings with the relevant program team as well as partners’ coordination meetings at the field level.
The core scope of tasks.
The Junior Technical Advisor fulfills the following tasks:
Coordination and management
- Regularly draws up a list of forthcoming meetings and events.
- Supports operational planning activities of the project and ensures timely completion of all activities and tracks the progress.
- Conducts regular visits to project sites to review progress and program quality.
- Supports to Project Coordinator in preparing regular project progress reports for donors and other internal and external entities, ensuring accuracy and technical quality.
- Participates and contributes to the contextual analysis and proposal development.
- Coordinates and assists in preparing and conducting project activities and carries out other activities required for implementing these components.
- Works closely with the Project Coordinator, Livelihood, and other technical staff of the project.
- Coordinates with the implementing partner NGOs.
- Supports the project with all organizational and office management issues.
Liaison contact person
The expected responsibilities will include:
- Liaise with Government departments and officials in support of GIZ SEIPP project activities in support of the program.
- Maintain positive and smooth working relations with the local Authorities to ensure GIZ SEIPP gets all the support to implement project activities.
- Identify challenges encountered or anticipated at the state level that could impact program activities and in consultation with Program Management seek viable solutions.
- Support the program in obtaining official government documentation, especially for visitors to the program on official duty, and facilitate their ease of movement.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support the Project Coordinator and the technical team in designing, coordinating, and conducting project evaluations (mid-term and end-term).
- Support the Project Coordinator and the technical team in conducting project datareviews for SEIPP.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the Head of the Project and the Project Coordinator
D. Required qualifications, competencies, and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate diploma/ similar qualification from a recognized clerical college with relevant subject
- At least 1-3 years of professional experience in a comparable position
- Experience in the field of international development cooperation
- Experience in the collaboration with state and non-state actors is of advantage.
- Working experience with GIZ is an advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the
internet) and computer applications (e.g., MS Office and Excel)
- Very good command of English and Somali
- Good team player, who interacts well with different departments and stakeholders.
- Good management and organizational skills
- Customer and service-oriented attitude
- Maintains confidentiality in handling data and information.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – Corresponding measures are agreed with management.