P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences: Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Roles and responsibilities
The livelihood and food security officer is responsible day to day implementation of livelihoods and Food Security Project activities in south and central Somalia The following is a brief description of the role.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Liaise with your supervisors to support in preparation of contract documents, verification certificates for incentive workers, partners and other service providers timely to facilitate proper and prompt payment to the partners.
- Administer working advances, field based resource person’s payments and participants’ activity payments in compliance with NRC policy.
- In consultation with FSL Project Coordinator/ Manager, represent NRC in community meetings, coordination meetings and other information sharing fora that is available.
- Communicate timely and adequately of any concerns that threats the smooth operation of program and advise of possible course of actions to take.
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Line management of Dhusamareb project Assistants staff and Provide regular progress reports to PC/PM.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by PM/PC
- Support project Assistants in preparation of payment requests (PRs) in Agresso where applicable and liaise with logistics to support stock requisition of materials from stores to support project activities using the correct procedures
- Ensure that incentive workers work efficiently and correct data capture procedures are adhered to during PDM and other monitoring activities
- Participate in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation including rapid assessments, and other data collection in order to inform and improve programming
- Work with project assistants to enable assistants understand the M&E and implementation plan that you are directly responsible for to enable them to understand the reason behind each activity that they implement.
- Develop share and implement monthly activity work plans for FSL projects (which he is responsible for) with assistants based on Gantlet chart developed by the FSL sector
- Liaise and work with project assistants including field assistants to implement and document FSL activities in South and Central Somalia with special focus at the on the projects assigned
- Support and work with incentive workers, implementing partners, suppliers & beneficiaries to; build capacity, ensure that correct documentation procedures are adhered to during field activities including M&E activities
- Timely reporting and support in preparation of project reports/updates e.g.
Compilation of weekly reports from FSL Assistants and submission to PC/PM.
- Submission of weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly PDM reports to FSL PC/PM
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisors
Our Ideal Candidate:
- We are looking for a university degree graduate in Agriculture, development studies or any other relevant field minimum of 3 to 5 years’ work experience NGO in the area of livelihood and Food security.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
- Solid Knowledge of the South central in general and in the particular context in terms of political, security, economic, and clan dynamics.
- In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
. What We Offer:
Contract period: Up to December 2023, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Dhusamareeb
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraging