Overall purpose of the role:
DRC Somalia is looking for an experienced and dynamic MEAL Unit Manager to work as part of the Quality Assurance team with a dedicated team of MEAL Technical experts and Officers to implement the MEAL agenda in the Country Office as part of DRC’s famine response. The MEAL Manager will provide overall country management oversight and strategic guidance in the implementation of MEAL activities Somalia. Working with programmatic counterparts and the MEL staff at the global, regional and country level, the post holder will engage in – strategic as well as programmatic developments to ensure that DRC continues its growth in MEAL practices.
Management and supervision
- Lead and manage the Monitoring & Evaluation team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Provide technical support to field-based Monitoring & Evaluation staff with a view to ensure coherence in data collection and analysis to support program development and quality
- Coordination and oversight of all aspects of the Monitoring & Evaluation processes
- Oversee the process of needs assessments, baseline studies and impact assessments
- Conduct periodic activity monitoring and site visits to the field to monitor data collection/implementation
- Capacity building through training, feedback, coaching of the Monitoring & Evaluation and programme staff in data collection, monitoring and analysis
- Enhance Monitoring & Evaluation capacity among staff to ensure accountability, facilitate planning and strengthen service delivery
- Lead the development of Monitoring & Evaluation strategies, tools and ensuring coordination of the Monitoring & Evaluation teams input to the country strategy, proposals and reports.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Analyse the data gathered and write baseline and impact assessment reports
- Continuously improve and update data collection tools, so they can be used in the particular context
- Review and implement DRC’s Monitoring & Evaluation and Impact Assessment Framework
- Provide technical support to programme staff during development of funding proposals particularly log frames and Monitoring & Evaluation rameworks and plans
- Develop and maintain an Monitoring & Evaluation system, to measure achievement and progress towards program goals and results,which easily can be used in reports.
- Assure quality of data collection and data entry processes
- Manage the various databases and summary sheets to oversee measurement of achievement and progress toward program goals and results through the Monitoring & Evaluation system.
- Provide technical support to ensure that DRC is able to articulate and document relevant best practices and assess performance regularly against agreed program objectives and indicators.
- Ensure successful roll out and sound management of databases and information systems in all program areas
- Assist in management of external evaluation processes from start to finish
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and
- decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting,
- probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian and development programmes
- Masters in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or other relevant field
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Strong understanding of Monitoring & Evaluation principles and processes, including database management, reporting etc.
- Minimum of 2 years working in countries responding to humanitarian crises in monitoring and evaluation, or programme design.
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience of working with or providing support to partners and/or a partnership model of working
- Demonstrable experience in the nurturing of organisational learning in programmes
- Proven facilitation and training skills with diverse audiences of NGO practitioners
- Proven understanding of the management of knowledge within NGOs or development organisations and an ability to link this to system development.
- Proven understanding of research methodologies and the nature of evidence which will influence key decision makers in the area.
- Experience of working in insecure environments and of security management;
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English
Contract: 12 Months with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment; Employment band Management F
Availability: 1st February 2023
Duty station: This position is based in Mogadishu or Baidoa with travel to field locations .
Reporting Line: Head of Programme
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 5th January 2023
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!