Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Action Against Hunger – Somalia seeks an experienced Monitoring and Evaluation/Health Management Information Systems Manager for the anticipated Damal Caafimaad Program. The purpose of the Damal Cafimaad call is to deliver the Essential Package of Health Services in Bakool Region for better health outcomes through strengthened essential health services provision. The project is funded by World Bank through the Federal Republic of Somalia. The Monitoring and Evaluation/HMIS Manager will work closely with the Regional Health Office to oversee the HMIS system in Bakool region. Moreover, he/she will work with the Project Manager and the Technical Manager to establish program reporting tools ensuring program data is analyzed and disseminated in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Working with the RHO, oversee HMIS system use at the regional office and facility-level use of HMIS tools within the Bakool region.
- Conduct trainings and provide support for Regional Health Office to develop HMIS capacity in the health system.
- Lead on the compilation and analysis of HMIS data regularly for decision making at the regional level.
- Ensure implementation of HMIS data quality improvement procedures (quality checks, facility visits, etc.)
- Develop monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) framework and plans for the programs, ensuring data systems established can measure progress against the program, log frame indicators.
- Coordinate with field staff to develop tools and methods to improve data collection, for example, surveys, assessment and beneficiary data
- Support the Technical Manager and Project Manager with the active implementation of their MEAL plans, ensure MEAL plans are updated timely and MEAL findings are in place for all donor reports.
- Develop a strategy for identifying, reflecting on and disseminating learning internally and externally.
- Develop and share monitoring reports with relevant staff (PDM reports, Baseline and end line surveys across the project lifecycle)
- Coordinate the design and implementation of accountability systems for the projects working closely with technical teams.
- Build the capacity of staff to plan and implement effective accountability systems for the country program.
- Strengthen the country program’s beneficiary and feedback complaint mechanism and set up new systems as the program extends to new geographical areas.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative discipline (preferably in Social Science, Economics, or Statistics)
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports
- A minimum of seven years in HMIS management, health data analysis and development of HMIS quality assurance systems.
- At least three years’ experience in HMIS capacity development, with a focus on coaching and mentorship, is required.
- Knowledge of major quantitative & qualitative monitoring methodologies and proven ability to design monitoring instrumentation tools.
- Experience working with International NGO’s, UN agencies, line ministries and/or local authorities, in complex emergencies.
- Experience working in M&E of Health sector in emergency context.
- Demonstrated data management and analytical skills, with demonstrated experience in managing large data systems.
- Excellent skills in information/data analysis, including consolidation and analysis of highly diverse data, and report writing.
- Demonstrated experience in designing MEAL systems, tools and processes in development and emergency contexts.
- Proven M&E training and capacity-building skills, ideally in supporting partners.
- Previous experience in survey/baseline and end line design, collection and analysis.
- High level of proficiency in Windows Excel and/ or Statistical Software (SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, ODK), and some experience in the use of DHIS/use of mobile technology for data collection.
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to provide technical support and feedback with a high degree of tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, interpersonal and representation skills.
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
- Previous experience in Somalia desirable.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.