SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below position.
Position title Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Officer
Reporting to Technically: RBM & Research Coordinator
Duty Station: Jowhar, Balcad and Adale (Middle Shabele)
The MEAL Officer will assist the MEAL Unit/Department in the management of SOS Somalia country programme monitoring and evaluation. He/She will work closely with SOS Somalia Management and Project/Program staffs at location to ensure that all MEAL activities are carried out in an efficient and timely fashion. He/She will assist the MEAL staff in project activity monitoring, documentations, data collection, analysis as well as database management and dissemination relevant information. He/She will work hand in hand with field teams and stakeholders on all programme monitoring and evaluation activities & ensure that monitoring visits are meaningful and capture data sought and feed into management decisions.
The MEAL officer will support an integrated children protection Interventions focusing on the prevention and response of child abuse, neglect, exploitation, family separation, violence as well as strengthening gender-based violence (GBV) prevention, mitigation and response for women and adolescent’s girl’s survivors and those at high risk. The proposed project will response to the heightened CPIE and GBV risks and needs of the drought affected population in Jowhar, Balcad and Adale districts.
MEAL Tool Development and Data Management
- Develop and implement a robust monitoring and evaluation system that will ensure tracking of project/ programme results at different levels (outputs, outcomes and impact).
- Develop/ Adopt an integrated database for the projects and ensure accountability through regular data updates, data integrity and working in collaboration with the data processors.
- Work with programme officers and managers to ensure the collection of relevant and appropriate data needed for an effective MEAL system which will be utilized in monitoring strengths, weaknesses and gaps in existing projects/ programs and services and for reporting on donor commitments.
- Review existing data collection tools for the project.
- Incorporate field and technical team feedback to ensure the continuous improvement of data management systems within SOS Children’s Villages Somalia.
- Maintain and update the monthly indicator tracker based on submissions from the Programme Managers for the SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Programme.
- Timely update and share data on the 4W matrix to the cluster management system.
- Participate and lead the development of RBM system at the project level and be focal person for RBM initiatives and implementation at location level.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Ensure all projects have adopted RBM templates (MEAL plan, Baseline plan, Result framework, activity schedule), sectoral work-plan and performance management plan (PMPs) in tandem with all approved proposals, regularly reviewing and updating as needed.
- Develop M&E plans for all projects and proposals and ensure the same is followed up during implementation.
- Carry out regular field monitoring of program interventions and produce monitoring reports on the given format, conduct debrief sessions with relevant program staff and develop an agreed action plan;
- To carry out follow-up monitoring visits to materialize actions agreed in the action plan, and maintain monitoring action plan tracker at field level.
- Work closely with the program development director to ensure that feedback to program locations team implementing the project is within time.
- Carry out data quality assessments/ audits regularly for MEAL data based on agreed indicators to guide decision making.
- Provide alert to the respective programme officers, managers and Programme Director on corrective actions required to avoid delays in implementation, including flagging operational issues and risks requiring timely actions.
- Review quarterly progress reports from partners and ensure they have evidence to back-up and provide feedback to the respective staff.
- Collate/ prepare periodic project reports related to internal reporting such as the quarterly and annual reports.
- Participate community/beneficiary selection processes and training & Conduct spot checks in community engagements, beneficiaries and stakeholders to ensure inclusions and accountability
- Assist in documenting case studies and success stories (written & audio) for specific project component & the overall SOS program.
- Ensure that cross cutting issues such as participation, gender, age and disability are effectively addressed/ mainstreamed in all project implementations as part of ensuring accountability according to SOS Children’s Villages Somalia.
- To assist in reviewing data bases and data tracking tools of diverse projects in order to maintain data quality for collating reliable and consistent data which meets minimum reporting requirements of donors and SOS Children’s Villages Somalia.
- Maintain Monthly Action Plan Tracker to follow up on action points agreed in monitoring reports.
Assessments, Surveys and Evaluation
- Liaise with the project manager to ensure that SOS Children’s Villages Somalia and all new and ongoing projects adhere to accountability requirements by initiating baseline surveys for new projects/ programmes and conducting relevant evaluations for ongoing projects to meet SOS Children’s Villages Somalia.
- Ensure that SOS Children’s Villages Somalia office learns from all final evaluations of completed projects for decision making and improvement of project designs.
- Lead and/or coordinate all country assessments, evaluations and performance evaluation tasks including planning and reporting on the same.
- Assist in the development of TOR for internal and external surveys & consultant recruitments/ selection.
- Coordinate the review all survey reports prepared to ensure quality and accurate reporting.
- Timely plan and initiate all pre and baseline assessments, post intervention assessments, KAP surveys, safe programming, protection mainstreaming survey, client satisfaction survey, After Action Reviews, Post Distribution Monitoring and Real Time Evaluation of emergency programmes.
- Undertake routine data quality verification and quality program monitoring using program quality checklists, compiling findings and sharing them with respective program teams.
Learning, Accountability and Capacity Building
- Conduct country monitoring of all SOS Children’s Villages Somalia implementation monitoring that meet laid down standards on a regular basis.
- Provide relevant evidence for learning from projects.
- Document lessons learned from the field and extract from reports and presentations and document them in the Lessons Learned Database/Log
- Share learning and provide constructive comments to colleagues in order to ensure programme quality.
- Ensure Sex, Age, Disability Disaggregated Data (SADD), Accountability and Gender standards are consistently adhered in programme service delivery.
- Build capacity of staff through training to ensure adoption of new data monitoring tools, AAP/CHS standards, RBM, and quality of data collected.
- Keep abreast of new approaches and tools on M&E and provide training to SOS Children’s Villages Somalia staff as requested. Enable staff to monitor and evaluate their own efforts, gather relevant data and produce required progress reports.
- Regularly collect data on and analyze the Complaints Reporting and Feedback Mechanism (CRFM) accountability data to the SOS Children’s Villages Somalia team to facilitate quality improvement.
- Follow up on complaints received by other SOS Children’s Village Somalia staff with the same diligence as complaints received directly through the CRM toll free line;
- Treat urgent and/or sensitive complaints with the immediate attention they require, and ensure a fast resolution;
- Maintain confidential and detailed records of all complaints in the CRM database and other electronic and hard copy filing systems, as appropriate;
- Follow up on pending complaints with Project and management staffs;
- Analyze patterns and trends in complaints to help SOS Children’s Village Somalia improve its programming;
- Produce a monthly analytic CRM report for SOS Children’s Village Somalia staff, following SOS Children’s Village Somalia template;
Others additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Social Science, Statistics, Economics, project management, international development or other related field;
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience working in emergency and development projects;
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating MEAL systems from project initiation to close out
- Experience in strategic planning and performance management, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing MEAL and performance monitoring plans
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in planning and managing surveys and reviews, evaluations, developing and refining data collection tools, and with data quality assessments and oversight
- Strong analytical and report writing skills; Extensive knowledge of Somali conflict and operating environment;
- Understanding of the current M&E trends and especially RBM systems in development organizations
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Somali;
- Knowledge and experience in working with community and community leaders, authorities, INGOs, LNGO, and UN agencies;
- Extensive knowledge and experience in SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, POWER BI, Google Data Studio, EXCEL etc
- Extensive knowledge and experience in data collection, management and design using KOBO, ODK, COMMCARE, SurveyCTO, Excel online, Google sheet etc
- Computer proficiency in Windows environment (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and proficiency in qualitative & quantitative software like SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, POWER BI, Google Data Studio, EXCEL and other related analytical software
- Willingness and ability to travel independently up to 60% to travel to project sites and other regions.
SOS Children’s Villages Somalia holds strict safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes Children’s Villages organization is also committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date: 12th December 2022.
Competent Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.