About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004. In partnership with civil society organizations, private sector, and the government, Mercy Corps Ethiopia has reached more than five million Ethiopians with interventions to save lives and build secure livelihoods. Our programs emphasize market-driven solutions, reinforce social bonds, and help communities build resilience to the impacts of climate change. Currently in six regional states – Afar, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, Amhara and South Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNPR) – Mercy Corps Ethiopia is driven by the mission to contribute the emergence of a peaceful, resilient, and prosperous Ethiopia which is inclusive of youth and women. Our strategic directions focus in promoting inclusive and dynamic markets; promoting peace and social cohesion through strengthening formal/informal governance structures and citizen engagement; improved natural resource governance; and integrated humanitarian response.
Position Title: MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING (MEL) SPECIALIST
Duty Station: Jijiga
Open Position: 1
Program / Department Summary
Enter Energy Ethiopia (EE-E) is a five-year initiative (2020 – 2025) that promotes private sector-led renewable energy infrastructural investments for the electrification of humanitarian settings, actors, and operations in Ethiopia. To this end, EE-E has decided to support the commercial deployment and operations of a solar PV-based hybrid mini-grid serving the host and refugee communities of Sheder.
General Position Summary
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist will work with the Mercy Corps program team as well as our local partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The M EL Specialist will be responsible for supporting the Enter Energy Ethiopia Program to oversee the monitoring and data collection of the project, lead xx surveys, analyze data to provide insight to project team, and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between the two program sites. The MEL Specialist will be an integral member of the project team learning and reflection processes, leading discussion on beneficiary feedback.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Develop M&E Plan(s) for programs and proposals.
- Develop a system for reporting and validating program data (Excel, Tola, Access, etc.)
- Work closely with the program teams and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
- Coordinate reporting with local partners, specifically tracking deadlines, ensuring adherence to monitoring formats and requirements, ensuring reporting quality and accuracy, and periodic report writing, editing, and submission.
- Compile progress against indicators and report back to the team according to the monitoring plan.
- Develop Data Quality Assessment Plan.
- Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected and reports each month.
- Actively participate in any additional evaluation M&E activities including but not limited to baseline surveys, mid-term, endline surveys, evaluations, households surveys
- Contribute to learning/research agenda.
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to implement program monitoring tools, accurately enter program data into relevant databases, and enable them to develop excellent reports and other documents.
- Build the capacity of our local partner organizations through ongoing training and support on monitoring tools, entering program data into databases, the development of reports and other documents.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Ensure adherence to program management minimum standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
- Be a thought partner in the recruitment of diverse team and promoting inclusive and safe work environment including supporting early career team members to fulfil their professional goals)
- Lead by example to promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with team members, partners and program participants
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
SUPPORT CARM IMPLEMENTATION
- Collect feedback or complaints from the program participants and close feedback loop
- Record feedbacks in program level database
- Sensitize community, program participants and program teams on CARM
- Prepare monthly CARM report
- Conduct field visits, spot checks, and follow up on specific feedback cases
- Capture programmatic adaptation as the result of CARM
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent, preferable in business administration, public administration, or international development.
- 4 years M&E experience
- Fluent in both spoken and written Somali languages with good knowledge of English.
- Previous experience working on donor funded programs in refugee’s context preferred
- Relevant experience in field survey/data collection techniques, data entry, data verification, and analysis
- Good understanding and skills at data management.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills..
A successful candidate will have the ability to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment with a capacity to spark innovative approaches to programming and inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs. S/he will have proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results, with an ability and willingness to remain mobile for short-term and/or long-term as necessary within the region, based on programmatic needs. An ability to work independently and as part of a team, with curiosity about and sensitivity to new cultures, a desire and ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally, and a great sense of humor.
- Only female candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
- The job requires extensive field travel to project operational areas, travel is needed up to 50%.
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 08 January 2023/ 4:00 PM