Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission in IOM Somalia, and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (LHD) and in collaboration with relevant units in the mission, regional office and other IOM missions, the National Programme Support Officer will be responsible for providing specialized support in the planning, managing, and timely implementation of Labour Migration and Human Development (LHD) program in Somalia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise and direct the work of LMI (Labour Mobility & Social Inclusion) Project Assistant/s.
- Coordinate and provide administrative & technical support to the MIDA (Migration for Development in Africa) experts recruited under the MIDA projects.
- Coordinate the recruitment and placement of experts of the different MIDA projects.
- Coordinate the implementation of LMI projects, with government Ministries, UN agencies and other national/international partners .
- Liaise with IOM Somalia office in Nairobi, IOM sub offices on activities related to the Terms of Reference of MIDA experts.
- Contribute to progress reports on project implementation as needed, with a goal to highlight results achieved and project success stories.
- Monitor the capacity-building conducted by MIDA experts in the institutions supported by project(s) by undertaking field visits to the respective locations.
- Prepare monthly narrative reports on program activities and outputs achieved.
- Provide inputs into the conceptualization of project proposals and implementation strategies of LMI projects.
- Develop project work plans and other related LMI project documents in close coordination with the LMI Programme Officers and Programme Manager, project development/monitoring and evaluation staff, the Programme Support unit, IOM missions and relevant authorities and public/private institutions.
- Carry out security related functions; monitor the security of diaspora professionals in assignment and in conjunction with beneficiary host institutions, provide frequent security reports and communications, and coordinate medical and security emergency evacuation, if necessary, as well as assist in the tracking of participants in cases of emergency and keep close contacts with IOM Safety and Security Unit.
- Manage the MIDA participants’ tracking system by keeping their phone numbers, personal physical addresses and other relevant information that will enable IOM to get in contact with the participants as quickly as possible.
- Organize, lead and facilitate project-related meetings and workshops, including the creation of agendas and preparation of capacity building materials.
- Support IOM’s labour migration/youth employment programmes.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Political, Social Science or Business Administration, International Relations, Law, Labour relations or other related fields from an accredited academic institution; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in institutional-capacity building, diaspora engagement, migration and development issues.
- Managerial experience in Governance and adequate professional experience working in Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Experience in project implementation and budget management.
- Proven experience in fundraising, conceptualization of projects and writing reports.
- Knowledge of Somaliland context and good understanding of Somali diaspora and government institutions.
- Strong computer skills, specifically using MS Office.
- Excellent operational, organizational and communication skills and the ability to work harmoniously with other colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Fluency in English and Somali languages is required. Working knowledge of Swahili and Arabic will be advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicate a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter via email with the subject of position title and VN number to email@example.com before the closing date 30th March 2023.
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).