Position: Obstetrician & Gynecologist
Position type: National Participant
Beneficiary Institution: Buhoodale District Hospital
Duty Station: Togdheer Region
Stream/Band: Stipend commensurate with degree and experience
Duration of Assignment: 12 months
Deadline for Applications: 25.01.2023
II. Background Information
About the MIDA FINNSOM Health Phase V Project
The past decades have seen continued migration from various African countries, causing a “brain drain” that has debilitated various public sector systems across the continent. Through the IOM Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) FINNSOM Health project, Somali diaspora professionals have supported institutional capacity building, service delivery, and policy development of health institutions across Somaliland since 2008.
The project currently is in its fifth phase (2022-2025), builds on lessons learned from the previous phases, and continues its progress towards improving health outcomes in close partnership with the Ministry of Health Development in Somaliland. Through the short-term deployment of diaspora health professionals, the objective is to transfer their skills and knowledge to the local staff in targeted institutions. Local professionals will remain an integral part of this project to contribute to sustainable outcomes in the health sector in Somaliland and to benefit from the knowledge and skills exchange with the diaspora professionals.
The new phase of the MIDA FINNSOM Health project aims to strengthen sexual and reproductive health for women and girls whilst providing mentoring and training opportunities for local health professionals. The project will also give particular attention to improving gender balance during recruitment. The project will target regional and district hospitals in Borama, Berbera, Buroa, Lasanod and Erigavo as well as some district-level health facilities in underserved areas of Zaylac, Badhan, Ainabo, Odwayne, Buhodl Sheikh, Arabsiyo, Gabilay, Baligubadle and Salahley, under the leadership of the Ministry of Health and Development. The project will also continue to support Hargeisa Group Hospital. MIDA FINNSOM Health project is funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
About Somaliland Ministry of Health and Development
The Somaliland Ministry of Health Development (MOHD), headquartered in Hargeisa, comprises six main departments: (1) Administration & Finance; (2) Public Health; (3) Reproductive & Child Health; (4) Human Resource Development; (5) Planning & Policy; and, (6) Health Facilities & Medical Services. (7) Mental Health Services
III. Duties & Responsibilities
The Somaliland Ministry of Health Development, with support from IOM under the framework of the MIDA FINNSOM Health project phase V, seeks to strengthen the capacity and knowledge of Hospital staff to provide quality obstetrical and gynecological services. These results will be achieved by improving the care for females and caring for pregnant women and providing preventive care at the Buhoodale district Hospital. Under the overall guidance of the Hospital Director, the Obstetrician/Gynecologist will have the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Interpret test results, discuss treatment and medication, and advise patients and the general public on issues pertaining to maternal health. Explain diagnoses to local medical students and residents.
2. Educate patients on family planning options, screen women for sexually transmitted infections, and may suggest and administer therapy or other medical care.
3. Perform Caesarean sections and provide on-the-job training to local staff and students in C-sections.
4. Conduct routine check-ups on patients.
5. Recording medical histories.
6. Educate patients about disease prevention, detection, and reproductive health.
7. Performing a wide range of tests.
8. Admit and discharge patients.
9. Participate in case studies and weekly presentations, as appropriate.
10. Be on-call for shifts and emergencies.
11. Participate actively in existing health sector coordination mechanisms and liaises with health sector stakeholders to contribute to:
a. addressing the unmet needs in maternal health.
b. optimizing the allocation of available resources.
c. developing clinical protocols, guidelines, and standards.
12. Care for and treat women during prenatal, natal, and postnatal periods.
13. Care for women during pregnancy and childbirth.
14. Perform any other tasks required by the line manager.
MIDA FINNSOM Project Coordinator, M and E Specialist from MOHD, and IOM National Program officer will technically support this assignment through interaction with the qualified Somaliland expatriate and beneficiary institution.
Skills and Qualifications
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section III, MIDA FINNSOM Health project phase V is requiring the following deliverables to be submitted throughout the assignment. These are the standard requirements for all assignments under this project:
Assignments under this
1. Work plan: A work plan must be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of the assignment to provide clear and time-bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MOHD, MIDA FINNSOM Coordinator, and M and E Specialist. This work plan can be revised during the midterm review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
2. Quarterly and Final Reports: Quarterly progress reports will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to MOHD, MIDA FINNSOM Coordinator, and M and E Specialist. At the end of the assignment, the Participant must also provide a final report covering the duration of his/her assignment.
3. Exit interview: An exit interview will be conducted to ensure that a proper exit plan has been put in place to sustain the achievements, upon completion of the assignment.
Level of Education:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery.
- Training and qualifications in Obs & Gyn
- Obs & Gyn resident for specialization in a known university.
Years of work experience in what area(s):
- Worked as a medical doctor for 5 years.
- Worked as an Obs & Gyn doctor in maternity wards for 3 years.
- Proven working experience with at least 5 years as Obs & Gyn doctor.
- Fluent in English.
- Fluent in Somali.
- Arabic language will be an advantage.
General Skills / Other Requirements:
- Experience in clinical teaching.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to operate as part of a team and independently
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and web-based management systems.
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment.
- The doctor must be a current member of the recognized professional licensing body, the National Health Professional Commission (NHPC).
VI: Monthly Stipend
The monthly stipend amount will be determined by MIDA FINNSOM Health project phase V based on degree and years of relevant experience.
VII: Security and Insurance Modalities
Health insurance will be provided by the project.
Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of qualified Somali professionals. The host beneficiary institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
How to apply
All applications must be sent to Email: email@example.com With the following reference as a subject in your e-mail: APPLICATION – as mentioned in the vacancy announcement. The closing date of this application is 25.01.2023, at 12.00 PM EAT.
To be considered, applicants must provide a cover letter, CV, and the contact information (email and phone number) of two professional references by the closing date of this vacancy. Please save your documents in PDF format. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.