SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Operations Assistant- Staff Travel
Vacancy Number : SVN/IOMSO/008/2023
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Classification : General Services Category, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Nine Months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 April, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting
humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services
and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resource Management and the direct
supervision of Senior Operation Assistant, the incumbent is responsible for
undertaking staff travel bookings in compliance with IOM established procedures to
ensure orderly and timely movements, with the following duties and responsibilities
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Receive travel requests and make airline reservations using the Amadeus
reservations system for commercial airlines and UNHAS (United Nations
Humanitarian Air Service) in accordance with staff travel
- Work closely with the staff travel coordinator – STC on the international flights
for the IOM staff and also using the HIT (Handbook of IOM Tariffs) access in
order to get the more appropriate fares according to the IOM agreement with
- Verify bookings, confirm booking with staff/traveler and provide detailed
itinerary including electronic tickets and baggage allowance as applicable.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates.
- Issue ticketing requests and other relevant information for the trip and update travel log and reports. Keep updated pro-flight files, ensuring that all necessary documents are requested and included in the file.
- Liaise with relevant regional missions, commercial airlines, UNHAS and all concerned parties regarding staff travel needs for the Somalia Office, flight cancellations, rebooking and documentation required by staff in the transit and destination countries.
- Make entries into IOM Data base, as required per SOPs. Create entries in I-GATOR (Integrated Global Airline Ticket Order Record) and follow up ticket refunds and with airlines as necessary and according to IOM SOPs.
- Verify invoices received for staff travel from airlines, charter providers, UN3, UNHAS, ECHO and coordinate their timely payment with IOM finance department.
- Orient/update staff on current affairs in the travel industry, other requirements or special conditions and regularly updates Senior Operation Assistant on issues affecting air travel out of Somalia.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree, preferably in the area of Tours and Travel or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least three years of relevant professional work experience; or,
- Completed High School certificate/degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional Experience;
• Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations, is an added advantage.
• Prior Movement Operations, transportation-related and/or management experience a strong advantage
• Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet; past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and systems (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus) is a distinct advantage.
• Accuracy in handling and reporting data. Ability to read, understand and apply written instructions and guidelines;
• Ability to interpret instructions, resolve work related problems. detect input/output errors and perform basic arithmetical calculations.
• Ability to work long hours when required and Knowledge in IATA (International Air Transport Association) Travel Operations.
• Excellent Communication skills.
• For all applicants, fluency in English and Somali is required (oral and written).
• Working knowledge of Arabic
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 03.04.2023 to 16.04.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.