Job Identification : 7641
Locations : Mogadiscio, Somalia
Posting Date : 12/22/2022, 09:31 AM
Apply Before : 01/05/2023, 09:31 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB4
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree
Other Criteria : Bachelors degree may be accepted with additional 2 years of experience)
Required Languages : Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Economic Recovery and Institutional Development (ERID) Portfolio directly contributes towards programme priority 3 for “Sustainable Natural Resources Management for Inclusive Economic Growth” of UNDP Country Programme (2021 – 2025). The Portfolio hosts two ongoing UN Joint Programmes: the Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery and the UN Saameynta Joint Programme: Scaling Up Durable Solutions (2022 – 2025). Other projects being finalises will cover a period of up to 5 years (2023-2028). In 2021 the portfolio delivered approximately US10 M under 6 projects.
Under the day-to day supervision of the Portfolio Operations Specialist, the Operations Officer, applies a client-oriented approach and supports the operational side of the programme and project management to ensure that is compliant with UNDP CO rules, regulations, and policies in project management and up to standard vis-à-vis expectations on quality, speed, and transparency. The Operations Officer is expected to work closely with the CO POQA Unit as well as the different units in the Operations Section of the Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensure implementation of operational strategies (procurement, finance and HR):
- Ensure consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures
- Ensure Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Coordinate all support services from the UNDP on recruitment, procurement and financial management
- Effectively manage contracts with consultants (in coordination with the UNDP finance and procurement units)
- Assist staff with operational / administrative matters
- Undertake logistical arrangements for project staff and visiting missions (mainly donors and consultants)
- Coordinate and compile asset management records for the project in a timely manner
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings (logistics and payments) as required
- Organize and coordinate trainings, conferences and workshops pertaining to the activities and workplan of the unit
2) Ensure effective project financial management:
- Regular monitoring of expenses and submission of financial reports to programme management and to donors as per the schedules
- Provide financial analysis of the programme budgets and expenses
- Monitor programme budget implementation and ensure that expenditures are within the approved budget allotments and in conformity with UN financial rules, regulations and procedures
- Review and ensure that effective financial controls are in place and are being implemented
- Coordinate closely with MPTF on donor contracts management, reporting and financial management
- Update and track the programme delivery rate periodically and on request
- Provide inputs for project budgets and manage the receivables and expenditures
- Harmonise partner agencies financial and other reports with donor reporting requirements
3) Ensure effective administrative and knowledge management:
- Provide effective administrative support to the project
- Ensure adequate and retrievable database / filing system for all project documents including soft and hard copies and managing the project archive
- Attend meetings, take minutes, records, distribute and file agreements as required
- Advising and guiding staff and consultants on UNDP administrative and reporting requirements and clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, etc.
- Collating and maintaining up to date data relevant to the programme, drafting routine correspondence, following up pending issues and responding to queries
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
4) Networking and relationship management:
- Build strong relationships and networks with partners
- Participate effectively in a team-based information sharing environment
- Manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to emergencies and novel ideas/plans
- Implement effective communication tools Institutional Arrangement:
Under the oversight of the Portfolio Manager for the day-to day operations the Incumbent will report directly to the Portfolio Operations Specialist.
LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
Business Direction & Strategy
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
- Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skill fully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
Required Skills and Experience:
Min. Education requirements
- (Masters degree)- Bachelors degree may be accepted with additional 2 years of experience)
Min. years of relevant work experience
- 0 years with Masters degree, 2 years with Bachelors degree
- Relevant experience in finance, administration and programme support service
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials
- Experience of working with UN organizations / international organizations/NGOs in Somalia or other countries of the region
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments, and to translate strategies and good practices into practical and feasible solutions
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Knowledge of enterprise resource planning systems such as Atlas is desirable
- Experience in social sciences or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Experience in projects implementation in post-conflict situations
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.