The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
The Partnerships Coordinator will be responsible for establishing and managing effective working relationships with DRC core sub-grantees in Somalia, government, consortia, academic institutions, and private sector. In consultation with the Business Development and Grants Manager, he/she will ensure implementation of DRC’s Partnership Policy in line with DRC global standards and donors’ rules & regulations.
The post holder will be responsible for the mapping, facilitation of the partners’/sub-grantees institutional capacity building, management, and strengthening of the partnerships unit. He/she will need to ensure partners’ compliance with DRC’s contractual obligations. This position will ensure that the country and global level startgey for partnerships and localization is met.
- As DRC Somalia main point of contact for sub-grants management, maintain communication and relationships with local and international partners, ensure that partners are effectively involved in the project and their feedback is channeled back to DRC management.
- Coordinate transparent negotiations with the selected partner to determine mutual rules of engagement governing the partnership; methods for achieving project success; how to ensure accountability and learning; and measures for strengthening capacity.
- Lead in undertaking partner vetting and partnerships capacity assessments in line with DRC global requirements at different areas offices and to ensure donor requirements are met.
- Facilitate/conduct start-up workshops with relevant staff from the partner to ensure induction in critical compliance requirements, as well as introduction to the relevant donor’s profile and requirements.
- In coordination with the Business Development and Grants Manager, and Head of Prorgamme, develop the partnership strategy for Somalia.
- Conduct periodic follow-up workshops on critical compliance requirements with implementing partners.
- Support organizational capacity assessments for sub-grantees and other partners.
- Prepare partner sub-agreements and sub-grant agreements in line with DRC Partnership Policy.
- Assist in strengthening the capacity of local partners by supporting trainings and providing follow-up support in report writing, sub-grants procedures, M&E and other topics as needed and in close coordination with the DRC programme team.
- Provide day-to-day administration of sub-grants, including tracking budgets, payments, compliance, modifications and reporting, and alert the Business Development and Grants Manager regarding any performance or financial reporting issues.
- Support the program team to monitor the programmatic progress and capacity of sub-grants against the sub-grant agreements and work plans.
- Conduct period reviews/visits to sub-grantees to ensure technical, financial, and administrative compliance with the specific Donor rules and DRC partnership policy.
- With support from the M&E team, support programmatic reporting for partners ensuring all procedures are followed.
- Liaise with finance and program staff for partner-related information or financial issues.
- Oversee partners’ programmatic and financial reporting, ensuring that quality reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitor and evaluate the quality of sub-grantees’ reporting and provide training on reporting procedures and mechanisms, to ensure improvement and impact.
- File and achieve all sub grants liquidations and supporting documents according to the sub grants files and labeling formats.
- Share and update database of implementing partners on a monthly basis.
- Share monthly updates/reports on respective partners with Grants and Compliance Manager
- Develop all DRC Strategic MoUs with states and federal government
- Support all area office in Reviewing MoUs
- Oversee the review and finalization of MOUs/SGAs and their Amendments, as well as the facilitation of CD signatures in accordance with the Scheme of Delegation.
- Contribute DRC Localization agenda commitment
Experience,Education and Technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum four years’ professional experience in sub-grants management, partnerships, and/or capacity building of local. Additional experience in project management would be an advantage.
- Masters/University degree in relevant felid
- Experience working in donor projects especially on grants management and in conducting compliance reviews.
- Knowledge of and experience working with local partners in Somalia especially local NGOs.
- Experience in organization development, particularly in the NGO sector, preferred
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience with an international NGO in grant accounting.
- Proven experience working with the major donors including Danida, USAID/BHA, DFID/FCDO, EC, etc.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- A pro-active person who is able to work independently and who is at the same time a good team-player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven commitment to accountable practices
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Advanced MS Excel and Word
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: One Year
Band: This position is graded as Band G-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Mogadishu
Start date:5th February 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 17 January 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!