Position: Pharmacy Assistant (3 Positions)
Job Grade: 2
Location: Qarhis, Hasbahae and Jalam under Nugaal Region
Reports To: Head Nurse
Direct Reports: None
SRCS is an independent, non-political humanitarian organisation. It was established in April 1963 and became a legal entity following Presidential Decree No. 187 in 1965. SRCS has operated continuously throughout the country’s period of civil war and political divide and is credited for its unity as one National Society. It operates through a network of nineteen branches with activities spread all across the country.
Pharmacy Assistants assist with drug dispensing by measuring, compounding, packaging and distributing medications. Pharmacy assistants maintain stock levels and perform clerical functions. Pharmacy Assistants work under the general supervision of the head nurse.
Duties and responsibilities
The main duties of a Pharmacy Assistant are to:
- Receiving incoming goods, loading, unloading deliveries
- Carry out ‘double checking’ on the prescription and medicines before dispensing them to the patients.
- Prepare and label medicines in accordance to the doctor’s prescription; dispense and counsel the patient on the prescribed medicines
- Able to provide information related on the use of the medicine and assist patients.
- Compound non-sterile pharmaceutical products
- Maintain prescription and inventory record keeping systems
- Maintain proper drug storage and security
- Place and receive orders for stock to maintain inventory.
- Referring problems or queries to the head nurse
- pre-packing, assembling and labelling medicines
- Delivering medicines to other parts of a MHTs or outreach teams
- Updating pin cards and matching drugs in pharmacy shelves
- Ensure the cleanliness of working counter, sink and medicine shelves.
- Examine the medicine shelves to ensure enough stock and ‘top-up’ when required.
- Control the stock level of medicine in the pharmacy.
- Examine and ensure all the medicines are in-dates and recorded any expired stocks, if any and implement an effective FEFO/FIFO strategy
- Candidate is required to carry out the related assigned job as per instruction given by the head nurse at all level in the respective section
- Participate in health promotion (for example, disease management screening and consultation clinics)
- Prepare pharmacy monthly reports and quarterly reports of non-consumables
- Collect and document information (new inventory, packaging documents and etc.).
Skills and Qualifications
- Diploma of pharmacy qualifications or equivalent professional practice in nursing. At least two years of relevant experience.
Pharmacy Assistants must be able to perform routine tasks while maintaining a high degree of concentration and attention.
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Good attention to detail with high degree of accuracy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Having competent IT abilities (Proficiency in computer office packages word, excel, power point)
- Having competent math skills.
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills
- Being able to work with a team.
- A caring attitude toward others and to be interested in people’s health
- The ability to remain calm and handle emergencies
- The ability to pay close attention to detail
- A willingness to keep up to date with new products and practices.
- Able to understand law and guidelines on medicines and other products
- Able to read and carry out instruction
- Able to explain clearly to members of the public
- Being able to work under pressure.
- Being able to meet strict deadlines.
- Having strong ethic.
Demonstrate proficiency in Somali and able to read and write English languages
How to apply
Interested candidates should email their updated CV, cover letter, in one PDF, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: applications which do not meet the above requirements will not be considered. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please write the position you are applying on the subject line. If you don’t write it, you applications will not considered.
Deadline for Applications: 31st January, 2023