Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Somalia since 2005, responding to emergency needs stemming from conflict and displacement, while continuing work to build more resilient, peaceful, and productive communities in Puntland, Somaliland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Banadir Regional Administration, South-West and Southwest States. The current country situation is seeing an increase of emergency activities resulted by recurrent floods, drought and the insecurity around life-saving food, water, hygiene programs coupled with ongoing humanitarian programs around economic opportunity and development, youth & education, and reintegration of returnees.
The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the logistics, Administration and procurement of goods and services for Mercy Corps Country Offices. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement, logistics and Administration activities are the prompt and effective provision of procurement, logistical and Administrative solutions as well materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
General Position Summary
The Procurement/Operations Officer is responsible for supporting the procurement/ logistic aspects of Mercy Corps’ procurement/ logistics operation in Mogadishu but can be assigned to support and cover for any of the country offices as and where needed. Working closely with his/her supervising Logistics Officers and Program, Administration, Finance and Operations, the procurement/ logistics officer is instrumental in supporting country operation and program activities through his/her services. S/he will work under the direction of the Senior procurement officer or Deputy Operations Manager and be responsible for local procurement, transportation of supplies from and to Mercy Corps offices, and general day-to-day management of the Southwest Office or any assigned country office in terms of logistics and procurement policies and needs. The position requires full adherence to Mercy Corps standard procedures and security protocols.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coordinate daily organization procurement activities.
- Ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
- Update vendor data base and share with the operation manager for further scrutiny
- Coordinate procurement plan are developed and utilized well with minimum deviation
- Understand organization procurement policies and formats and Provide training to staff on matters pertaining to procedures.
- Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to organization standards.
- Compile and analyze the logistics and procurement reports and send them to the Deputy Logistics Manager on first week of each month.
- Ensure that organization’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Carryout the procurement of goods, works and services for all procurements as per organization standards and formats.
- Carryout the procurement of national consultants’ services (all values) – as per organization’s standards and formats.
- Oversee the establishment of various Master Agreements for commonly used items – as per organization standards and formats.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files. Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the procurement policy.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of organization
- Assist P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Maintain file on market prices for commonly bought items.
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: NONE
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Deputy Operations Manager/Operations Manager
Other program staff, finance officer, logistics officer, human resources, and administration officers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in a relevant field (business administration, logistics, business management) is desired. A degree in the same field of procurement is a plus.
- 2-3 years of experience in operational support functions, including procurement, supply chain management;
- Experience setting up operations and/or logistics in new office programs is an added advantage.
- Strong oral and written English is required.
- Experience managing complex and complicated activities with time sensitive deliverables is an added advantage.
- Ability to commence position as soon as possible.
- Ability to support establishment of good operational and administrative systems based on Mercy Corps standard policies and procedures.
- Strong organizational skills: ability to interact effectively with international and national staffs.
- Excellent computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
The successful Procurement/ Logistics Officer will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment and an ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks. S/he will have a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and will be able to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel. Good spoken and written English is critical, and computer literacy and strong organizational skills.
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis
- How to Apply:
- All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for this position and submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- “Female candidates are strongly preferred to apply, and the candidate must have a good understanding and experience for the vacant position.’’
- Deadline for Applications: January 11, 2023.