Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
The Country Office in Somalia/Somaliland is currently recruiting a:
Fulltime / 40 hours a week
Contract Durcation:6 months with possibility of extension subject to performance and funding
Location: Mogasidhu/Baidao, Somalia
Department Purpose: To work with the humanitarian team and long-term development team to take implementation and coordination role in designing and implementing South central Somalia program implementation. Provide technical, implementation and management support to NEXUS partners based in Mogadishu. The position requires supporting different stakeholders on need assessment, project development, emergency response, humanitarian capacity building, innovation and influencing. Project Implementation and setting up Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) with strong coordination with INGO Consortium, HCTT and Food Security Cluster. This role demand visionary and dynamic person with strong technical responsibilities who is proactive to lead, invent innovation and high quality work for building capacity, formulate advocacy in delivering cash transfer program, in good linkage with Resilience and Social Protection work, influence to relevant ministry and private sector and other humanitarian actors including private sector for scale-up good practices and integration of women transformational leadership into relevant work .
Team Purpose: To work with the humanitarian team in implementing Oxfam’s program in South central Somalia.
Job Purpose: Ensure the coordination, oversee implementation and technical support to local partners implementing EFSVL/WASH/Protection work in southern Somalia
- Plan, design and oversee implementation of EFSVL, WASH and Protection activities whicha re mainly implemented by Oxfam partners.
- Capacity to lead Cash transfer programme/project to address food security and livelihoods needs of the disaster-affected population, ensuring gender mainstreaming and where appropriate linkages with the WASH/shelter sector. Ensure that the programme is implemented mentioning Standards, quality, cost effective, consultative, participative, gender-sensitive and inclusive way.
- Capacity and understanding of basic WASH work and ability to link and seek support from country office when necessary.
- Protection capacity in leading and managing these projects is fairly possessed, able to implement, design and report integrated program in their location.
- Versatile and have sound capacity in knowledge transfer to partners, organize /facilitate training on livelihoods and food security issues using of HEA, PCMMA/EMMA, 48 Hours EFSVL tools or IPC to Oxfam staff, Partner Staff and sector actors.
- Undertake design, plan and lead EFSVL need assessment as part of a multi-sector programme assessment under country assessment framework by HCTT and Oxfam
- Facilitate that WASH and EFSVL programme is closely linked with long term development programme as necessary in that context.
- Do direct implementation periodically as per organisations request but the role will mainly support partners implementation work.
- Provide technical assistance and advisory support to ongoing food security and livelihood components.
- Support to partner organizations in the oversight of EFSVL/WASH/Protection programme in southern Somalia in line with Oxfam policy and agreed standards (as per approved project plans)
- Ensure proper implementation by partners to achieve the agreed objectives. Support food security technical part on top of leadership and coordination role
- Design or identify tools and approaches for use in food security, livelihoods and market monitoring, participate/lead in market assessments and in any other assessment as needed;
- Play a leading role in the cluster system, including the Food Security, WASH, protection or Cash/Market WGs or sub-cluster group and support delivery of its work as required; Share Oxfam learning and best practice with clusters, Govt bodies and key stakeholders.
- Support Humanitarian program manager based in Hargeisa and technical leads to ensure the smooth running of South-central Somalia work
- With Humanitarian Program Manager, Technical team, Operational Lead and CD, develop funding proposals for food security and livelihood recovery linking with the OCS as appropriate.
- Represent Oxfam in various platforms and EFSVL issues at cluster and other coordination meetings and liaise with INGOs, UN and other stakeholders on a regular basis.
- In direct coordination with the Humanitarian Programme Manager update EFSVL and WASH work following the evolution of the people’s needs.
- Influence relevant Govt /ministry and other actors including private sector to scale up the good practices and policy change.
- Coordinate and represent Oxfam in indifferent forums /meeting with government, UN particularly food security cluster or other NGOs at the national or local level.
- Any other duties may be assigned by the line manager.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
The post holder will have the following essential attributes.
- Education – A relevant post graduation degree with at least 6 years of field experience, preferable in Mogadishu/south west state and Jubaland in the implementation of multi faceted projects consisting of EFSVL, WASH and protection.
- Demonstrate very strong technical capability and versatility in overseeing skills and ability to work and build a good team.
- Experience in conducting training in EFSVL, including cash transfer programs and livelihood inputs.
- Proven experience in designing, implementing and monitoring large food security and livelihood program. This includes designing all necessary formats and training staff in the implementation.
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills as well as sensitivity to cultural differences,
- Demonstrable experience in donor contract management as well as management of large multi-donor funds.
- The ability to use sound judgement, take initiative and make independent decisions as well as work
- Flexibly within a team
- Good assessment, documentation and reporting skills including coordination skills.
- Proven ability to develop good local knowledge as well as excellent analytical and conceptual skills.
- The ability to remain calm, work under pressure without losing sight of strategic objectives.
- Excellent software-based computer skills
- Good communicator in English and knowledge of the context is an asset
- Dynamic program officer role within and outside of organisation (cluster, consortium and govt)
- Requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide audience.
- Plans/objectives contribute to departmental/broader program strategy and can involve collaboration with partners’ team in Somalia.
- Providing specialist advice or specific skills to team and partner.
- To support the team in fundraising efforts and produce clear and quality reports that demonstrates good accountability.
- Self aware on gender and women leadership dimension and initiative to integrate gender and women.
- leadership into relevant work
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible difference.
Please send your application of the position by clicking Apply Deadline on 2.04.2023 and include your motivation letter and cv quoting “Application of Program Officer” as the subject heading. Application Deadline on 2 of April 2023,However, Applications will be shortlisted as we receive them, and interviews will be carried out if necessary, before the end date. Therefore, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and before the deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.