WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Date of Issue: 28th March 2023
Application Closing Date: 10th April 2023
Why Join WFP?
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates, in particular, are encouraged to apply.
To perform specialized and/or standardized policy and programme-related processes and activities to support the effective delivery of assistance packages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Programme Officer, and overall supervision of the Head of Field Office, the Programme Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
- Act as the school feeding focal point for the Field office which includes implementation and monitoring of the school feeding programme.
- Ensure timely delivery of food commodities and non-food items to the targeted schools.
- Coordinate the implementation and management of school feeding activities and follow up on proper food handling, food preparation, hygiene and palatability of meals.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly distribution reports and data entry.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly invoices to guarantee timely payment to the Ministry of Education.
- Attend monthly education cluster meetings and ensure WFP is properly represented. Share WFP school feeding activities with other stakeholders to avoid overlapping of activities.
- Organize monthly coordination meetings with the Ministry of Education to discuss issues af-fecting the school feeding programme.
- Ensure MOUs between WFP and the Ministry of Education are prepared in a timely manner.
- Participate in school feeding baseline surveys including internal and external monitoring as required.
- Ensure WFP visibility and accountability in each school.
- Participate in the joint assessment and selection of new schools in line with the WFP selection criteria.
- Coordinate closely with the M&E unit to ensure that all implementation issues reported are addressed and closed on time.
- Provide guidance and on job training to Ministry of Education staff on food handling and other trainings.
- Review and verify all Field Office invoices against deliveries.
- Monitor food receipts, dispatches and distribution to various programme activities supported by the Field Office
- Within the specific area of responsibility, compile data and support analysis and prepa-ration of reports in order to support operational decision-making.
- Perform accurate, timely recording of data on school feeding project statistics and other relevant information related to the programme for easy tracking and reference.
- Identify training needs required by the Ministry of Education SWS and support capacity build-ing activities subject to funding availabilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Can facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes under guidance using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)||Demonstrates ability to facilitate, under guidance, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data andtheir relevance to food assistance programmes.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Govt||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
Do you meet the minimum role requirements:
Academic Qualifications: A post-secondary certificate in education, social sciences, nutrition, public health, food systems or other related functional area is desirable.
Years of Experience: A minimum of 5 years progressive work experience in school feeding, nutrition, livelihoods related programmes implementation, public health/ food security preferably in humanitarian context.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated leadership role in terms of emergency nutrition coordination.
- Ability to facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation, and monitoring.
- Ability to facilitate, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
- Understanding of basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Experience working with technical teams (Nutrition, VAM, etc.)
- Analytical skills
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali language.
Terms and Conditions:
One (1) Year Initial
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP does not charge any application fees to candidates.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.