Position Title : Programme Officer (CCCM)
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 May 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
There are 5.2 million people in need of humanitarian assistance in Somalia. The country also has a high number of Internally Displaced Peoples (IDPs) and refugees who have left the country, with more than 3.6 million who have been displaced by conflict, insecurity, forced evictions, droughts, and floods. Clan disputes, protests, the weakness of the national forces, the gradual withdrawal of the African Union Mission in Somalia, Islamic State and continuing Al Shabaab attacks cause insecurity and instability across Somalia.
The insecurity coupled with reoccurring climatic shocks often lead to displacement. With 2.6 million IDPs across 2,000+ settlements/sites, the CCCM cluster’s coordination in the provision of basic services in sites while improving the living conditions and protection of IDPs. The cluster’s current priorities focus on meeting the humanitarian needs of the affected individuals while maintaining a clear focus on durable solutions and longer-term development needs.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (EPC,) and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (CCCM), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination, implementation, monitoring, and review of technical elements of the IOM CCCM programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical inputs for the development and implementation of the CCCM strategy and for resources mobilization activities for IOM in the country.
- Participate in required assessments aimed at collecting information on services available, population needs, and composition, including research into community governance structures and their impact on sustainable development and humanitarian assistance delivery.
- Monitor and follow up on the technical components of the CCCM Programme including the drafting and/or review of concept notes, proposals, and budgets, checking that mechanisms and modalities to be implemented are appropriate and in line with global standards and best practices.
- Contribute to the development of and implement, monitor, and review a robust CCCM capacity building structure, considering information gaps and solutions at all levels.
- Provide technical inputs for and implement, monitor, and review a CCCM community engagement strategy, checking that Cluster global standards and IOM’s AAP framework with the local context and experience are aligned, in order to facilitate the mobilization and participation of all persons in decision-making processes.
- In close coordination with the CCCM Information Management Officer, contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring, and review of a complaints and feedback mechanism (CFM) that promotes and facilitates active referrals, accountability, and two-way-information sharing concerning assistance and services.
- Provide technical inputs for the preparation and implementation of CCCM action plans and a pilot grant scheme aimed to further community driven action and localization.
- Maintain appropriate links with the national/local authorities, state institutions, civil society and other relevant stakeholders, including effective coordination and information exchange with them.
- Assist with the development of other IOM CCCM standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other strategic documents by providing a variety of technical inputs and information.
- Support and work closely with the CCCM Cluster coordination team, including monitoring and supporting cluster partners, and providing technical inputs for the development of cluster strategies, assessments, and tools as needed.
- Together with the Monitoring & Evaluation team, participate in monitoring activities to evaluate the implementation of CCCM projects, remotely and through monthly regular field visits to areas of operation, checking that CCCM activities are being implemented as outlined in strategic plans.
- Facilitate the mainstreaming of Gender Based Violence (GBV), Accountability to Affected persons (AAP), Communication with Communities (CwC), and other Protection related aspects in all CCCM project phases, ensuring closer coordination with relevant colleagues, especially Protection actors.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Business or Public Administration, Humanitarian Affairs, Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Operational experience in the field in IDP/refugee and migration related issues, including technical cooperation, project development and project/programme implementation and evaluation;
- Work experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs – experience in the region is an asset; and,
- Experience in CCCM at a technical level, in emergency and conflict environments; significant CCCM operational experience to guide and lead the CCCM programme implementation
- Good knowledge of UN, IOM and NGO mandates and programmes in the IDP humanitarian responses, post conflict construction and development;
- Familiarity with operational management and good level of computer literacy, including database applications;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Familiarity with CCCM global standards concerning communication, engagement, and accountability
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners; and,
- Works effectively with donors, local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain
exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 May 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 28.04.2023 to 11.05.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 124 Programme Officer (CCCM) (P2) Mogadishu, Somalia (58105969) Released
Posting: Posting NC58105970 (58105970) Released